His view: men's fashion lacking on Auburn's campus

(Courtesy of Jordan Jemison)
(Courtesy of Jordan Jemison)

I feel trapped in a world of basics. Basic shoes, basic shirts, basic pants and a very basic man. And unfortunately here in Auburn, "basic" is a status quo rooted deeper than the Toomer's Oaks.

It's not uncommon to see the throngs of pastel and khaki short shorts, Patagonia tees and Chaco sandals litter the pavement of the Concourse during class change. Nor is it unheard of being bombarded by visors, dashes of camo and oversized North Face backpacks.

I won't pretend to be okay with it. Sure, personal style is always welcomed. However, in my eyes two things are missing here on the Plains: "personal" and "style."

As an apparel design major who is very knowledgeable of the constantly changing fashion industry, I know a thing or two, or three, about style. Also, as a man who has a deep connection with fashion, far deeper than the simple aesthetics, I know even more about it being personal.

I feel as though the demands of Auburn fashion are like that of a uniform. Keep it simple, masculine, make sure it's just like everybody else's and don't draw attention to yourself.

The idea of wearing something remotely different, and in this case that means fashionable, is like a taboo.

Fortunately a taboo can be broken. It can be broken in a way that keeps the simple Auburn man out of the basics while keeping him comfortable, more or less. For example, when deciding the look for the day, switch things up. It's not hard; not even for the stylistically challenged.

The next time that Patagonia T-shirt can't stop calling, shut it up by replacing it with a button-down and leave it untucked.

Don't touch that visor, and instead of the Chacos, pair it with a nice pair of loafers. Feel free to have at it with a pair of chino shorts too. And, if showing leg isn't on the agenda for the day, a pair of nicely fitted jeans or a tailored khaki works just as well. And always cuff the bottom.

This is a way of styling that is simple, easy and keeps the fashion forward but subtle. Also, with fall in full force, or full force as far as Southern standards go, the weather can be a bit indecisive some days.

So when it randomly gets cold out, like it loves to do on an unpredictable regular day here, add a nice piece of outerwear. I would opt for a black or gray puffer vest from Gap or Express.

Either way have fun with it, and don't take it too seriously, guys.

It's basic fashion.

Share and discuss “His view: men's fashion lacking on Auburn's campus” on social media.