Student memorial may be newest building project for SGA

A student memorial may be the newest building project for SGA according to Jackson Pruett, executive vice president of initiatives and senior in political science.
At the next meeting, Feb. 16, the senate will vote on a proposal to begin working on a student memorial to honor the students, staff and alumni who have passed away.
If passed, the memorial will be constructed across from the president's mansion at the corner of Mell Street and Samford Avenue.
According to Jack Wagster, assistant vice president of facilities and sophomore in business, the area would be 4.25 acres and replace the existing Garden of Memory.
"It is going to serve students both past and present to honor members of the Auburn Family that have passed in a way that people can share their memories and thoughts in a tranquil place," Wagster said.
A pathway would run through the memorial lined with seven pillars, each representing a different part of the Auburn Creed. The memorial would not contain plaques with names so all members of the Auburn Family can appreciate the space. "We want to avoid this being an individual memorial," Wagster said. "We want it to be an Auburn Family community space, so we don't want to honor one person more than another."
According to Pruett, if the resolution is passed, the project will be taken on by the 2015-16 executive staff to be brought to the April meeting of the Auburn University board of trustees.
The good thing about this bill is that it's the next three executive officers' [project]," Pruett said. "It is a perfect passing of the torch project, and they can carry this as an important effort in their term."
In other senate news
-Passed a resolution of a ratification of The Graduate Student Council Constitution
-Introduced a proposal to be voted on next week regarding the ratification of the School of Nursing's constitution

Share and discuss “Student memorial may be newest building project for SGA” on social media.