Editorial: Keep the change, Auburn dorms

Auburn University’s week of finals begin at 8 a.m. on Monday, May 4, and end Friday, May 8 at 6:30 p.m.

Individual students’ final exam dates are determined by class day and times.

The first residence hall move-out schedule announced halls would close their doors for the semester at 5 p.m. on May 8, meaning all students and their belongings would have to be completely moved out of the dorm rooms by that time.

Graduating students were allowed to stay until May 11 at 9 a.m.

The University sent out an email Wednesday, April 29, announcing a policy change, extending all students’ final checkouts to May 11.

We commend the University for their last-minute change of policy and encourage them to make this policy permanent in future move-out schedules.

Students are required to also clean the rooms and have an inspection. If students fail to do all that is expected of them for their move-out procedure, they could be fined.

It would have been unreasonable to expect students to be packing their belongings, organizing moving trucks and visiting storage units during the times they are supposed to be studying for exams.

Final exams are stressful enough without outside obligations.

Some students have back-to-back exams in one day, others have exams worth 50 percent of their grade and others have exams that determine whether they will be graduating.

The University should continue this wider range of move-out dates in the future to better cater to students who have late finals.

Understandably, many resident advisers (RA) are graduating and they, too, are concerned with their own exams, as well as preparing for graduation, to assist with checkouts during this period.

Graduation also complicates move-out dates because Auburn is filled to the brim with happy parents and families, causing traffic and crowding the campus on Saturday and Sunday.

However, not all RAs are graduating and there should be an acceptable number of staff to assist students who must check out later because of exams.

Likewise, increased traffic should not be a reason to disturb students during their studies.

Students who have final exams on Friday should always be allowed to move out later in the week. They could be required to submit a copy of their exam schedule to prove they need the extra time.

Non-graduating residents could assist with the move out.

The University should continue to do everything within its power to encourage students to perform to the very best of their potential on their final exams and in their classes.

Now, without the pressure to move out while studying, students will be able to give their entire focus towards doing the best they can in their classes.

Keep the change, Auburn. Finals are stressful enough on their own. Make final move out after final exams and let students worry about their finals first. 

Share and discuss “Editorial: Keep the change, Auburn dorms” on social media.