OPINION: To date or not to date

For most of my life, I’ve heard that college is a time to go crazy before the real world begins. This doesn’t just mean drinking. Boys are always in the picture.

When I moved from sunny Jacksonville, Florida, to Auburn, Alabama, I had a boyfriend at the time, who I’d been with since my junior year of high school.

We had a good time together, but when I finally got settled in and started to meet new people, I knew that a long distance relationship wasn’t in the cards for me, and we eventually ended it.

Thus began my single life after two whole years, and I threw myself into partying and living it up with the rest of my single friends. This was a different stage for me, but it took me a while to meet someone new that I was interested in and felt comfortable with.

In being on both sides of the situation, I will have to say that first, there is nothing wrong with being in a serious relationship in college.

Having someone there for you whenever you need them to give you a pat on the back, or talk if you’ve had a bad day is something I cherish in mine. I never have to worry about finding a date to a social or a formal, and I’m guaranteed a good time no matter what. Plus we get to celebrate all of the gushy holidays together, which at least girls dream of doing once in their lives. Now I know that you can do most of these things with your best friends, but it’s just not the same.

With this being said, I will also say that there is nothing wrong with not having a significant other in college.

Although the single life isn’t really for me, the benefits of being on your own can be positively overwhelming.

For most people, it’s a time for self-growth, and truly finding out who you are and what you’re interested in. For others, it’s spending every ounce of time and energy into exploring what makes you happy on your own. College is the perfect time for this, and if you don’t end up with an engagement ring on your finger right after graduation, that is perfectly okay.

The good news is this great divide between being in a relationship or not doesn’t have to be so black and white. It is entirely possible to experience the advantages of both, but it all comes down to balance.

If you’re in a relationship, make sure to set aside time for your friends, so they don’t feel as if you’ve devoted your life to your significant other. They’ll be the ones you need when you have that big, inevitable fight waiting with ice cream and advice.

On the other end, if you aren’t in a relationship and want to be, don’t be afraid to ask that classmate you’ve been crushing on to hang out, or don’t reject everyone that comes your way. Even if you think it won’t work out, give them a chance. You never know where one date will take you.

Share and discuss “OPINION: To date or not to date” on social media.