UPDATED: New apartment complex coming to downtown Auburn

A new apartment complex coming to downtown Auburn in August 2016.

Demolition work is underway to an existing structure at 137 E. Glenn Ave.

The Balcony, managed by CollegeTown Properties, will be a four-story building on Glenn Avenue between College and Gay streets. There will be one- four- and five-bedroom floor plans, according to its website. It will be approximately 55 feet high.

The new apartment complex is one block outside of an apartment moratorium area the Auburn City Council approved in February and extended for an additional four months in August.

Mallory Woodall, regional manager for CollegeTown Properties, said the company has developed housing in other college towns such as Columbia, South Carolina, and they have already filled more than half of the community.

Woodall said instead of offering amenities such as a pool, the company chose to focus on features such as having a TV on every balcony and sound systems throughout the units. She said every unit will have a balcony, or sky lounge, and the Glenn Avenue units will be equipped with two.

"It'll kind of have an industrial look," Woodall said.

Woodall said the nearby train tracks can also serve as a feature instead of a nuisance.

"It's actually kind of a cool feature to feel so connected with the town to be so close to the train tracks," Woodall said.

Forrest Cotten, planning director for the city of Auburn, said this project has been in the works for several months, and did not require approval by the planning Commission or City Council. 

"It doesn't get that public attention because it doesn't require public approval," Cotten said.

He said CollegeTown Properties is also developing the 222 Lofts complex on a nearby lot on College Street.

Cotten said this complex could alleviate parking because more people will be living downtown, and they will walk and bike places instead of driving.

Woodall said the on-site parking is convenient for residents.

"It's basically downtown parking because of the location," Woodall said.

The properties are geared toward students, according to Cotten.

"I think it should be received positively and have a positive impact," Cotten said. 

Share and discuss “UPDATED: New apartment complex coming to downtown Auburn” on social media.