Presidential candidates set to visit Alabama

The Southeast is set to play a greater roll in the nomination of presidential candidates than it has in decades.

Southern states joined together and passed legislation last year to move their presidential primaries to March 1, a date now being dubbed the "SEC Primary." 

Alabama is seeing more frequent and high-profile campaign stops by major presidential candidates. More than half of the major presidential contenders have visited Alabama so far. 

Three major GOP candidates have announced campaign stops in Alabama over the next two weeks.

Dr. Ben Carson is set to visit the University of South Alabama in Mobile on Thursday, Nov. 19. 

The neurosurgeon-turned-presidential-hopeful will speak at a free rally from 4-5 p.m. at the Mitchell Center. Those interested should should arrive two hours prior for security, according to the organizers.

Donald Trump will visit Birmingham on Saturday, Nov. 21, according to the Alabama Department of State. The event will be Trump's second trip to Alabama during this election cycle.

The rally will be held downtown at the Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Center at 11 a.m., doors will open at 9 a.m. The rally is free, but a ticket — which is available online — is required.

Sen. Marco Rubio will visit the northeast of the state for the first time on Dec. 1.

The Rubio campaign has announced the Florida senator will visit Guntersville for a rally at the Guntersville Recreation Center beginning at 4:15 p.m.

According to the National Bar Association, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton will make her second stop to the Yellowhammer state on Dec. 1 as well.

The leading Democratic candidate for president will be the keynote speaker at an event commemorating the 60th anniversary of the Montgomery Bus Boycott.

The events coming up over the next two weeks extend a long cavalcade of presidential candidates who have visited Alabama over the past year including former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, Ohio Gov. John Kasich, Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul and Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders.

Share and discuss “Presidential candidates set to visit Alabama” on social media.