Auburn great Cameron Newton, Carolina Panthers heading to the Super Bowl

<p>Cam Newton smiles as he celebrates the Auburn victory. (File photo)</p>

Cam Newton smiles as he celebrates the Auburn victory. (File photo)

One of the most decorated players in Auburn history is set to play in football's biggest game.

Cameron Newton, who won the Heisman Trophy and a national championship during his one season at Auburn in 2010, led the Carolina Panthers to an NFC title and a berth in Super Bowl 50 on Sunday night.

Newton threw for 335 yards and two touchdowns on 19-of-28 passing and added 47 yards and two more scores on 10 rushing attempts in the Panthers' 49-15 drubbing of the Arizona Cardinals in Charlotte, setting up a matchup with Peyton Manning and the Denver Broncos for the Lombardi Trophy.

Last week, Newton was awarded the NFL MVP by the Pro Football Writers of America after leading the Panthers to a 15-1 record in the regular season. He scored a league-leading 45 total touchdowns, threw for 3,837 yards and posted a career-high efficiency rating of 99.2.

Newton, who returned to Auburn last spring and received his degree in sociology, was the second Auburn quarterback ever to reach a conference title game and will become the first Auburn quarterback to start a Super Bowl. He and Panthers' teammate Cameron Artis-Payne, who played running back at Auburn from 2013-14, will bring the total of former Tigers who have played in a Super Bowl to 33.

Former Auburn center Reese Dismukes is on the Panthers' practice squad, and former tackle Tyronne Green is currently on the Panthers' injured reserve.

According to ESPN, Newton is the fourth player to win the Heisman Trophy, be selected first overall in the NFL Draft and play in a Super Bowl, joining Billy Cannon, Jim Plunkett and George Rogers.

Super Bowl 50 will be played at 5:30 p.m. CST on Feb. 7 at Levi's Stadium, home of the San Francisco 49ers.

Share and discuss “Auburn great Cameron Newton, Carolina Panthers heading to the Super Bowl” on social media.