CAMP WAR EAGLE ISSUE| Letter to the editor from the SGA president

War Eagle! 

My name is Jesse Westerhouse and I have the incredible opportunity of serving the Auburn student body as SGA President this year. I would first like to take a moment to welcome all of our incoming students to Auburn. You have an incredible experience ahead of you, and I envy each and every one of you for the amount of time you have left at Auburn. I encourage you to get out of your comfort zone, take chances, keep your focus on school, and do everything you can to get the most out of your Auburn experience.  I have learned some of the greatest lessons and met some lifelong friends during my three years here, and I hope that each one of you do the same. One way that I have seen these things happen in my life is through involvement opportunities on campus. For any student, these opportunities to be involved in one of our 500+ student organizations can be found on AuInvolve throughout the fall and spring semesters. 

The summer is an exciting time for Auburn University and the Student Government Association. There will be over 100 facilities projects worked on this summer, further implementation of the findings of the Campus Climate Study and Mental Health Task Force, and Auburn will continue to work towards accomplishing it’s goal of raising 1 Billion dollars. The summer also gives SGA an opportunity to assess where we are and get some awesome work done on our goals for the year. A few things we really hope to accomplish this summer are:  Implement a syllabus bank students can use to get a better look at what classes are like before registering, initiate a committee focused on assessing dining at Auburn and figuring out where we can improve to make the Auburn dining experience better, work with the City of Auburn and administrators to get UBER to Auburn, and continue to do all that we can to make everyone feel at home and welcome in the Auburn Family.  

Come fall, there will be a few changes to the current student football ticketing system. These changes include checking students’ ID’s on Ignited Cards upon entry, implementing a guest ticketing system so that students can bring friends and family to football games with them, and changing up the structure of first-year student ticketing where two 6-game packages and one 4-game package will be offered. This will double the number of first-year students who will have the opportunity to buy tickets to the SEC games, and more first-year students as a whole will be able to attend football games and save money by not being forced to pay secondary-market prices for the majority of the tickets they buy. These changes will help increase the number of tuition-paying Auburn students in the student section, decrease the number of tickets sold for huge profits on the secondary market, and improve safety in the student section. I ask that you to give any feedback you may have on these changes or on Auburn’s campus as a whole by completing an AuburnAnswers submission. These can be found at AuburnAnswers.org, and they are greatly appreciated!  

As you can see, we will be very busy working to make Auburn a better place over the next few months. Enjoy the time you have this summer taking classes, working an internship, traveling abroad or just spending time with friends and family, and I look forward to seeing you all back in Auburn in the fall. 

God Bless and War Eagle, 

Jesse

Share and discuss “CAMP WAR EAGLE ISSUE| Letter to the editor from the SGA president” on social media.