An owner's emotional farewell to Mike and Ed's BBQ

J.P. Lemay, the sole franchise owner of Mike and Ed’s BBQ of Auburn, sold her franchise this month after 16 years of running the restaurant.

Lemay began working for the barbecue restaurant Mike and Ed's 30 years ago in Phenix City, Alabama, as just an employee before opening her own franchise 16 years ago. Lemay sold the franchise March 3 of this year. Lemay kept the land and building the business afforded her to buy and now leases it to the new owner.

Lemay worked other jobs from 1996–1998 but was asked back to manage a new franchise in Lagrange because of her skill and knowledge of the business. Lemay said one condition of returning was that she would have franchise rights to an Auburn location when she could make it happen financially.

“Being able to go from where I started to where I ended up ... is pretty amazing and surreal," Lemay said.

Mike Gullatt, the cofounder of Mike and Ed’s was like a father to Lemay, and Ed is like a brother, being that she worked for the business for so long. Once opening Lemay opened her franchise, they both expressed their pride in her and gave her advice she has carried with her for the past 16 years.

“I was a working owner, and that is the bottom line reason for the success,” Lemay said. 

Working vigorously and with hardly a day off is what consumed Lemay’s life from the time she first opened the restaurant in Auburn.

There were times when she wanted out of the business because the job was so overwhelming, but the business was all she knew. She stuck with it, working through a back surgery and over extending herself for the sake of serving good barbecue.

One of the hardest years of Lemay’s career was a few years back when both her brother and Mike Gullatt passed away. Her brother was her best friend and worked with her. She said he was a major part of making her business a success. Her brother’s passing almost made her sell in 2012.

“I miss him every day," Lemay said.

Those that worked for Lemay recognize her work ethic and dedication to Mike and Ed's.

A former employee who worked for Lemay while in college and now works for the City of Auburn wrote on her Facebook page.

“I cried reading her comment on how I was an inspiration to her . . . but in my eyes they inspired me," Lemay said.

Upon finding out about her selling the business, former and present employees, numerous customers and other Mike and Ed’s owners continue to express their appreciation and adoration.

The restaurant holds sentimental value to Lemay.

“Selling that restaurant was probably one of the hardest things that I’ve ever had to do in my life because it was my life," she said.

Mike and Ed’s took up the extra time that Lemay could have used to spend more time with her two daughters, and after sacrificing for sixteen years she gave the idea of selling a serious thought.

Lemay rededicated herself to God in 2014, which played a huge part in the sell. Praying about it is what helped her reach a decision. 

“I took the drive, cried all the way and cried while discussing the sale,” Lemay said. 

April of last year is when she met with someone to help her sell.

“The Lord sent someone, we made the deal. . . it was time," she said.

Auburn alumnus John Hamner is the new owner of the Mike and Ed’s of Auburn franchise. Hamner said he purchased the business because it “looked to be an excellent business opportunity." He also enjoys working there and is looking forward to keeping the legacy of the Mike and Ed’s BBQ on North College Street going for years.

May 3 was Lemay's last day, and she has been taking it easy since then. Lemay plans on doing the things that working hard for 16 years has made possible. She has a trip to Cancun already planned and a trip to New York to see her oldest daughter. She’s looking forward to the future.

“If you work hard, and you believe in yourself, and you dedicate yourself to something, nothing is impossible," Lemay said.

Share and discuss “An owner's emotional farewell to Mike and Ed's BBQ” on social media.