Report: Former Auburn tight end Landon Rice accused of rape

Former Auburn tight-end Landon Rice has been accused of first-degree rape, according to a report obtained by the Columbus Ledger-Enquirer.

The incident report was filed by a 19-year-old woman, whose identity has been withheld by the Ledger-Enquirer.

Rice, who was a freshman at the time of the incident on April 12, has not been formally charged, and the case is "inactive." The incident reportedly occurred in the South Donahue residence hall, across the street from the Auburn Athletics Complex.

First-degree rape is a Class A felony in Alabama and carries a penalty of 10 years to life in jail.

The 19-year-old woman filed a protective order against Rice on Sept. 12. The hearing for the order will be held Oct. 4.

According to Lorenza Dorsey, captain of the Auburn Police Department, an inactive case is not necessarily closed.

“Cases on inactive status are still open investigations, and there are various reasons why a case would be placed on inactive status,” Dorsey told the Ledger-Enquirer Friday morning. “I can’t speak to this case specifically, but some examples are: no active leads or suspect to follow up on, case is awaiting further action to be taken by court system, awaiting results of lab examination or analysis, etc.”

Following Auburn's win over Arkansas State on Sept. 10, Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said Rice left the football team for "personal reasons," but did not expand on what those reasons were.

Share and discuss “Report: Former Auburn tight end Landon Rice accused of rape” on social media.