Report: Former tight-end repeatedly apologized to woman who accused him of rape

Former tight end Landon Rice repeatedly apologized in a series of text messages to the woman who accused him of rape, according to documents released by the accuser’s attorney on Wednesday.

The accuser — whose identity is being protected by AL.com, the outlet that broke the story, and the Columbus Ledger-Enquirer — started a text conversation with Rice at 9 p.m. April 18, six days after she later told Auburn police she was raped.

“I said no to having sex,” the woman, who is a student at Auburn University, wrote Rice. “I didn’t say it just to hear my own voice, I said it because I meant it. So the fact that you didn’t respect me enough to listen really really hurts. I know you knew better than that. I’m saying this because I want you to know that what you did was wrong. Whether it was 5 seconds or it was 20 minutes, it was still wrong.

“So I’m texting you about this for two reasons. One because the next time you are in that position, listen and do not make another girl feel disrespected like I do. Two because I want you you to just leave me alone from now on.”

Rice responded in a series of texts that included the word “sorry” five times, AL.com reported. 

“Yes I knew it was wrong and I am sorry,” Rice reportedly wrote. “There is nothing I can do to make it right. I am really sorry. I should have never put you in that position, I was just in the moment. That is not the person kind of person I am. (Accuser’s name) I am really sorry.”

The accuser responded by saying she wanted Rice to leave her alone and he again apologized.

“Can we just put this behind us and don’t tell anyone. I’ll leave you alone,” Rice reportedly wrote. “Once again I am really sorry and I feel terrible about it.”

The accuser responded, “Just don’t do it again.”

The April 18 texts end with Rice writing, “I’m not. I’m really sorry.”

The 19-year-old woman filed a protective order against Rice on Sept. 12. The hearing for the order will be held Oct. 4. A temporary order of protection was granted to the woman by Lee County Circuit Court judge Steven Speakman on Sept. 15. 

Rice left the football team two weeks ago because of what Auburn coach Gus Malzahn called "personal reasons." 

Mike Mastin, a defense attorney based in Albertville, is representing Rice with lawyers Augusta Dowd and Kelly Brennan. 

Rice’s defense team issued a statement Tuesday, Sept. 20 — before the texts were released — in response to allegations. 

“Landon was projected to start as tight end for the Auburn Tigers, but two days before their opening game against Clemson, false accusations and fundamental unfairness combined to prevent that from happening,” the statement issued by Dowd reads. “For the past several days, Landon and his family have been subjected to prejudicial and incorrect commentary in an environment that has not permitted them a full opportunity to be heard. Landon has not been charged with any criminal offense. When the true facts are revealed, those who made false accusations and vilified Landon will be held accountable.”

Share and discuss “Report: Former tight-end repeatedly apologized to woman who accused him of rape” on social media.