A review of Durango Taqueria y Carniceria

Why do gas stations harbor the greatest restaurants? Whenever I hear about a hole-in-the-wall eatery that’s attached to a gas station, my eyes light up. Yours should too.

Cue Durango Taqueria y Carniceria—A small, quiet restaurant connected to Valero on North Dean is serving the best Mexican food in the Auburn Opelika area.

Now, Mexican food is more than chips, salsa, margaritas and the latest Frankensteinian Taco Bell creation. Here in the States, Tex-Mex has become the de facto Mexican food.

In fact, the most ubiquitous symbol of Mexican food—the hard-shell taco—was first made in America in the mid-20th century. Forget cheddar, ground beef and sour cream, which are all nonexistent in authentic Mexican cuisine; instead, Durango’s tacos come with onion and cilantro topping your meat of choice bedded on two warm corn tortillas and substitute the Tex-Mex’s grease for freshness. All of which costs $2 allowing for $6 worth of food to fill a plate. All of the meat options deserve to be tasted; however, the adventurous lengua (beef tongue) is sure to reward a curious palate.

In addition to tacos, there are other a la carte options such as burritos, quesadillas, tortas, etc. all coming in under $7, assuring the crumpled bills in your wallet be used. Traditional Mexican plates like mojarra frita (fried whole tilapia) and costillas de puerco (pork ribs) are served with rice and beans and also make for fantastic meals.

As for drinks, skip the sodas and instead opt for the authentic drinks made from tamarind and hibiscus flowers, or treat yourself to the absolutely addicting horchata. While your food is cooking, take a stroll through the market next door which makes up the Carniceria half of Durango.

Here Mexican meats, produce and spices line the aisles while imported piñatas hang from the ceiling. On most days, you can watch a game of soccer right around the corner of the shop.

A word of warning concerning the salsa bar though. Do not underestimate the heat an authentic salsa may bring. Sauce made solely from dried peppers will take quite a toll on one’s body. However, just the flavor can be worth the masochism.

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; text-align: justify; text-indent: 9.0px; line-height: 11.0px; font: 9.0px Times} span.s1 {font-kerning: none}

Share and discuss “A review of Durango Taqueria y Carniceria” on social media.