North Donahue sidewalk project to begin in April

A new project to widen portions of North Donahue Drive to add a center turn lane and sidewalks will begin next month.

The project is set to begin in early April and will widen North Donahue from Cary Avenue to Bragg Avenue.

It will also add sidewalks to the curbs to maintain safe foot traffic throughout the area, city officials said.

Bryan Wood, a civil engineer for the Public Works Department and the project manager, said the project will be broken down into two phases.

“The first phase will begin in early April, and it is expected to run until August,” Wood said. “We hope to be finished by the time school starts.”

The bid, awarded to D & J Enterprises Inc., cost a total of $647,402.

The city will need to file paperwork with the Alabama Department of Transportation to acquire funding for resurfacing North Donahue to Shug Jordan Parkway, the second phase of the project.

The bidding process will open in April.

“The funding is partnering with ALDOT,” Wood said. “We will still handle construction and engineering, and it is basically resurfacing from my project all the way to Shug. It should begin immediately after my project is finished.”

The Public Works Department will still be handling the construction and engineering of both phases of the project.

“For this project, we expect to work one side of the road at a time, just so we never have to shut the road down,” Wood said.

Concerning other projects around the area, the Public Works Department is in the process of completing the installation of signals and various drainage improvements near Wright Street and North College Street.

Share and discuss “North Donahue sidewalk project to begin in April” on social media.