LETTER TO THE EDITOR: The word 'diversity' has been distorted

In his speech at Auburn last Thursday, Apple CEO Tim Cook spoke on “diversity and inclusion.”

Cook talked about the uniquely-American notion of free speech and extoled the virtue of listening to ideas with which we differ. Very well, challenge accepted.

Early in his remarks, Cook stated that each generation has the obligation to enlarge the definition of human rights.

Really? Over the last 20 years or so I’ve watched this movement for “diversity and inclusion” morph into something much different than advertised.

As a result I now must stand guard as my wife and adolescent daughter use public restrooms to make sure a man doesn’t waltz in.

While society engages in self-flagellation over the rights of a bearded man in a dress, women’s privacy rights and feelings of violation are cast aside.

Cook spoke about the importance of inclusion to Apple’s corporate culture, but is Apple truly diverse?

Does Apple hire pedophiles, polygamists and necrophiliacs?

If not, why not?

How can they deny them employment based on their lifestyle choices?

To do so would be duplicitous.

The underlying question for society becomes how do we arrive at a standard of acceptable behavior?

Do we base our inclusivity on majority will?

1940s Germany is a great example of how badly that ends — just ask the Jews who lived in Germany during that time period, if you can find any.

To our peril, society has discarded the Judeo-Christian definition of sexuality.

The creator of the universe has been incontrovertibly clear in giving us that standard – not for His benefit but for ours.

In His unending love for us, God gave us this wonderful gift to be used only in one-man/one-woman marriage.

However, we seem hell-bent on normalizing every form of abhorrent behavior man can concoct.

We have truly sewn the wind and will reap the whirlwind.

Jim Newman is a member of the Auburn graduating class of 1993.

Share and discuss “LETTER TO THE EDITOR: The word 'diversity' has been distorted” on social media.