COLUMN: Why students should study philosophy

With much of the world focused on scientific discovery and technological advancement, it seems there is little room left for the humanities.

American society has been primarily focused on advancements in science for the better part of a century. It has resulted in, undoubtedly, many great achievements.

The focus on science, technology, engineering and mathematics has gifted us with the moon landing, Netflix, smartphones and practically everything else.

At the same time, however, important fields like history, literature and philosophy have consequently taken a back seat.

A once revered area of study is now seen by many as antique, and, to some, a waste of time.

“While philosophy has by no means gone away, it does seem to have lost much of its appeal within modern universities given the successes and progress of STEM fields,” said philosophy instructor James Compton. “Still, philosophy has a way of sticking with us. It’s a fundamental human endeavor.”

Compton said there are several misconceptions that need to be cleared up, including wage, job opportunities and the personal benefit of philosophy.

PayScale’s annual College Salary Report found that those with a bachelor’s degree in philosophy received a mid-career median income of $82,000, making it the highest earning humanities major.

Philosophy majors aren’t limited though; they can hold positions of high pay as well. Former CEO of Hewlett-Packard, Carly Fiorina, for example, was a philosophy major during her time at Stanford University.

Yet again, the data shows philosophy majors fare quite well-entering graduate education. On the Graduate Records Examination, philosophy majors score the best on the verbal and analytical writing sections, which comprises most of the test, Compton said.

While few apply, philosophy majors are accepted into medical school at the highest rate compared to others.

Philosophy majors are accepted into law school at a rate higher than any other major as well, tied only with economics.

Law School Admissions Test scores among philosophy majors is tied with economics for the highest average score at 157.4, according to Compton.

Aside from the economic and academic benefits, a study of philosophy will enhance one’s communication skills both written and spoken.

Philosophers learn to be careful with their words. They try their best to mean what they say and say what they mean.

“Regarding the kind of communication skills one can get from studying philosophy, it’s hard to overestimate the potential here,” Compton said. “Philosophical training leaves one very well-equipped to communicate carefully, precisely and soberly. It demands that we make every word count and think through its meaning. Being able to present arguments well, see errors in the arguments of others and correct for them is also a huge part of this. This kind of critical abilities are much needed and desired in whatever field of work a student chooses to pursue.”

Although some may not realize, our societal ideals of justice, ethics and value have been directly shaped by those before us. Developments in philosophy have shaped the way we have thought for centuries.

Even the principles of the United States as detailed in the Constitution are based first in philosophical theory. The founding fathers were, in a way, political philosophers.

So while philosophy may never make a technological discovery, it can better determine how the discovery should be used.

Philosophy may have a much higher potential than it seems. Looking back at the ideas of the past could guide our understanding of the present.

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; text-align: justify; text-indent: 9.0px; line-height: 11.0px; font: 9.5px 'Crimson Text'} span.s1 {font-kerning: none}

Share and discuss “COLUMN: Why students should study philosophy” on social media.