Auburn involvement stressed by Miss Auburn candidates in debate

Miss Auburn candidates spent the majority of their time at the lectern speaking on their involvement and experiences at the University

Each candidate's prior experience was the focus for Miss Auburn candidates in Monday night debate.

Each candidate presented the experiences she had that qualified her to be Miss Auburn.

“This past summer I served as a Camp War Eagle parent counselor,” said Kathryn Kennedy, junior in biomedical sciences. “I really got to interact with a lot of adults both in a setting where I had presented information that was prepared in a very formal way and also in a very informal way where I could sit down with them and have a simple conversation and get to know them on a different level. I think that's important for Miss Auburn to be able to connect not only with students but also to adults. I just have a passion to serve the University.”

Most candidates focused on the hostess capacity of the Miss Auburn position gave examples of roles they have had previously that related.

“This past year was involved with War Eagle Girls and Plainsman and really got to serve in that hostess capacity, which is the fundamental core of Miss Auburn’s position,” said Bailey Sullivan, senior in industrial and systems engineering. “From that, I was able to interact with a lot of alumni, donors as well as students so I feel that has really qualified me for the role of Auburn’s official hostess … working with service organizations, whether that’s [Auburn Dance Marathon,] [University Program Council,] The Big Event or Financial Management Association I feel that I’ve gotten to interact with a wide variety of Auburn students and have done that with passion, giving back to the student body.”

War Eagle Girls was a shared experience among the candidates. Each touched on the role of hostess of Miss Auburn and how they are prepared to do that.

“A lot of people really fostered my growth when I was a freshman and sophomore which then really urged me to interview for the War Eagle Girls and Plainsman, which I feel like was the group that I could most distinctly impact Auburn and serve it to the best of my ability,” Miss Auburn candidate Bria Randal said. “Through that, I’ve really learned not only to connect with students, which I feel came very naturally but also with alumni and the community. Because I think that they contribute so much to this university. So that’s something that I really want to focus on throughout the position of Miss Auburn.”

Candidates focused on how to reach all students and what experience they have interacting with different types of students.

“I just wrapped up my time as the new member educator for my sorority and I feel like that has played the biggest role in my life getting to serve the freshman in my sorority,” said Mary Spencer Veazey, junior in public relations. “Getting to invest in them and really making known, loved and valued and that’s what I want to do as Miss Auburn. I want to make people feel known, loved and valued.”

The line in the creed that candidates have been preparing all campaign season went mostly unmentioned for the majority of the candidates. The focus was centered on involvement and furthering the Auburn Family.

“I was really able to find my place through a few different organizations,” said Zuri Foster, junior in biomedical sciences. “The first was Auburn’s Black Student Union where I currently serve and the administrative vice president. With that, I really get to work with educating people as well as building that family atmosphere. I also serve as a student recruiter where I give campus tours to prospective students … really getting to showcase the university I know and love."

Each of the candidates made it clear they believe the role of Miss Auburn is to serve the students of the University.

Share and discuss “Auburn involvement stressed by Miss Auburn candidates in debate” on social media.