Crepe Myrtle, favorite Auburn open-air lunch spot, closes at current location

The neighboring nursery, Blooming Colors, is closing soon, but both will reopen soon at a new location

Crepe Myrtle Cafe and the Market at Blooming Colors closed Sunday, March 11 while Blooming Colors itself is undergoing a move to a new location near the intersection of Society Hill Road and Moores Mill Road in Auburn.

Owner of Blooming Colors and Crepe Myrtle Cafe King Braswell said that there is no controversy involved in the move and that it was a conscious decision made in order to place the store closer to its primary customers.

"The retail portion of Blooming Colors was so far away from our demographic," Braswell said. "We wanted to be closer to Tiger Town, closer to the Moore's Mill area, who we're selling our plant material to, and kind of consolidate our location and move out near the La-Z-Bee."

Continue reading below...

Braswell said that he is also planning to reopen the Crepe Myrtle Cafe in a new location later this year in the area around the Church of the Highlands off of East Samford Avenue and is considering opening multiple new locations in the future.

"I had the opportunity to be a part of a group of people who want to create multiple locations of the Crepe Myrtle Cafe, so now was good timing for me to take advantage of that opportunity," Braswell said. "The first [Crepe Myrtle Cafe] will probably be open in about six months if everything goes well with securing the new location that we've chosen and construction of a new building."

Braswell said that he's received a lot of feedback from Auburn community members who were saddened by the close of Crepe Myrtle Cafe, and he hopes that they'll look forward to its reopening.

"I'm still passionate about everything that I've been working on for the last 24 years, and our staff is still very passionate about moving our endeavors forward," Braswell said. "Because we love it, we want to make sure that Auburn continues to benefit from our efforts."

Share and discuss “Crepe Myrtle, favorite Auburn open-air lunch spot, closes at current location” on social media.