Uber to expand to all Alabama counties ahead of Independence Day

Uber has announced it will expand to every Alabama county Sunday, July 1st.

The statewide launch comes as the law creating one set of rules for ride-sharing across Alabama takes effect and will bring access to rides at the tap of a button to new communities ahead of Fourth of July celebrations.

Governor Kay Ivey signed a statewide framework for ride-sharing into law March 1. The launch corresponds with the law taking effect July 1.

“We thank Governor Kay Ivey for her leadership paving the way for residents and visitors across Alabama to have the access to convenient rides and flexible work opportunities they deserve,” said Uber Southeast General Manager Kasra Moshkani.

More than 40 states across the nation have welcomed comprehensive ride-sharing laws that allow companies, such as Uber, to expand statewide.

Uber currently operates in Alabama’s largest cities, but those in rural and suburban communities have been left behind because of a patchwork of local regulations.

“Uber is committed to helping make drinking and driving a thing of the past by connecting people to reliable rides at the push of a button - and now those rides won’t stop at city limits,” Moshkani said. “As Uber launches throughout Alabama and brings service to new communities, we are proud to partner with MADD to encourage those celebrating during the July 4th holiday to make smart choices.”

Mothers Against Drunk Driving, MADD, Alabama is teaming up with Uber to help raise awareness about the dangers of impaired driving and remind those drinking during Independence Day to make safe choices.

The summer holiday is among the “100 deadliest days on the road,” which fall between Memorial Day and Labor Day weekends. Drinking and driving is one of the leading cause of death in the United States.

There were nearly 300 alcohol-impaired driving fatalities in Alabama in 2016 and more than 10,000 people lose their lives across the country each year, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

"There is never an excuse to drink and drive, and Uber's expansion throughout Alabama will make it easier than ever to get a safe ride home," said Pamela Morton, MADD Alabama State Director. "We are proud to team up with Uber to make progress on our goal of getting to zero - zero deaths, zero injuries, zero families impacted by impaired driving. Whether it’s with a designated driver, a bus, or an Uber trip, if you're drinking this July 4th, leave your keys at home and take a ride on the safe side."

Share and discuss “Uber to expand to all Alabama counties ahead of Independence Day” on social media.