Nearly 1,500 women match with sororities during Bid Day 2018

Holding hands with their new sisters, women ran full speed toward their chapter rooms on Bid Day 2018. Screams of happiness echoed through the area as 1,458 women were matched to sororities.

<p>Excitement and celebration for Bid Day on Aug. 17, 2018.</p>

Excitement and celebration for Bid Day on Aug. 17, 2018.

Holding hands with their new sisters, more than a thousand women ran full speed down the stairs of Auburn Arena toward their chapter rooms in The Village on Bid Day Friday as Panhellenic recruitment came to a close.

Screams of happiness echoed through the arena as 1,458 women ripped open their bids and were matched to sororities. 

"We had our biggest number come through this year, so we were preparing for a really big group of girls, and we got that," said Panhellenic President Sadye Ball. 

While placements were down a bit this year, Panhellenic started recruitment with 1,645 potential members, the highest on record. This year, 88 percent of women matched with a sorority, and, according to Panhellenic, 10-11 percent of potential members withdrew from recruitment. Less than 2 percent of the women who participated in recruitment were released or didn't receive bids. 

Continue reading below...

Panhellenic's placement rate declined by 2 percent as the number of bids offered dropped from 1,587 last year to 1,458 this year. And 58 more women went through recruitment compared to last year. Panhellenic Council adviser Lindsay Ollis said the recruitment process went splendidly.

"We have gotten great feedback from the presidents," Ollis said. "A lot of the members have said it was a smooth recruitment, and it has been really fun." 

Ollis said other than rain on preference day, recruitment went smoothly. 

"I was really nervous, but when I got here and saw [my Bid Day buddy] I was just excited," said Daphne Moon, a freshman who is pledging Αlpha Omicron Pi.

Moon said she was drawn to her new sorority after philanthropy day when she learned about arthritis and how it affects so many people. On preference day she walked in and felt herself getting emotional because she said she knew she was supposed to be there. 

Emma Rich, a member of ΑΟΠ, said the group of pledges coming in were everything her sorority could have asked for and the whole week was a dream.

Three friends hugging after the bid reveal ranted about how thankful they were for each other and the newfound sisterhood they would now be able to enjoy. Their love for Zeta wasn't subtle as they spoke about why their sorority's authentic nature made them stand out in the field of screaming pledges. 

"I think [the pledge class] is beautiful and so sweet and cute," said Caroline Matthews, junior in ΑΟΠ. "It's so great because you get to meet and get to know 80 new people you have never met."

If you have a Greek Life story you think should be shared, email Lily Jackson at managing.editor@theplainsman.com to be featured in the 2018 Greek Life special issue. Submission will be accepted until Monday, Aug. 27, at noon. 

Share and discuss “Nearly 1,500 women match with sororities during Bid Day 2018” on social media.