Greek fee to be implemented this fall

Greek Life will begin charging a Greek member fee of $15 and will decrease some other fees this fall. With a Greek population of 7,500, the new fee will generate $225,000 annually.

Greek Life will begin charging a Greek member fee of $15 and will decrease some other fees this fall. 

Assistant Vice President for Student Development Haven Hart said the fee's purpose is to generate funds for incoming staff, enhances chapter service, leadership training and professional development for staff and students. 

According to Student Affairs, Auburn's Greek fee will be the lowest in the SEC and ACC, with Louisiana State University at $57 a semester and Clemson at $55 a semester. 

With a Greek population of 7,500, the new fee will generate $225,000 annually. 

In addition to hiring a new director of Greek Life, Ryan Powell, each council will now have a full-time advisor. 

According to Hart, the current staff ratio at 7,500 students is approximately one faculty or staff member to 1,875 students. With the new hirings, the ratio will move from one to 1,000 students, with the ideal ratio being one to 750 students. 

In addition to the new fee, University Housing agreed to reduce the Panhellenic chapter room fee from $300 to $220 a year. According to Student Affairs, Panhellenic will see an overall decrease in fees by $55 a year. 

Interfraternity Council new members will see their dues decrease from the one-time $70 to $35 — a $5 decrease their first year. 

IFC member dues will go from $26 a year to $21 a year and with the new Greek fee, they see an overall increase of $25 a year. 

National Pan-Hellenic Council will see no changes in their member dues besides the added Greek fee of $15. 

These changes will take action this fall. 

Share and discuss “Greek fee to be implemented this fall” on social media.