Healthier attitudes thanks to spring and plentiful sunshine

Oddly enough, it happened at 9:55 a.m. Monday when I hopped on my bike to make it to my 10 a.m. class.

You would think the previous eight days of beautiful warm beaches would have made me register it sooner, but no. It was the little thing, like biking to class.

It's springtime, finally.

There's just something about this seasonal weather that is noticeably uplifting. Maybe the warm breezes, the budding trees, the floral scents\0xAD \0x2011 they're all good-mood catalysts, if you will.

Now when I look out my bedroom window and see greens, I instantly feel better.

No more dreary, windy, even icy days to fight against during a journey to class. No more chatters, no more chapped lips. Most importantly, no more winter blues.

I've heard many people scoff at the idea of Seasonal Affective Disorder, like it's not a "real" disease.

But frankly, I'm a believer that it is.

Unfortunately I'm not a major in biochemical psychology, so I can't back up this "feeling" by rattling on about what chemical reactions make my brain function the way it does. But I can go off personal experience and what I've read from legitimate scientists.

According to the A.D.A.M. Medical Encyclopedia, one out of 20 people suffer from SAD. Those affected usually notice an inhibited, depressed mood which may spiral into clinical depression if not treated. And although people who live further to the north are more likely to suffer from this disorder, it doesn't reduce anyone's chances from feeling it.

It's all about light, specifically sunlight. Hence, the lighter, brighter moods most people can't help but feel when the warmer weather finally arrives.

So get out there and grab a moderate, healthy amount of sunshine. I can only speak for myself, but I know it only does leaps and bounds of good for me.

Share and discuss “Healthier attitudes thanks to spring and plentiful sunshine” on social media.