Where to keep your pets on break

Pets often accompany students to their Auburn homes.

These cats, dogs, birds and other creatures vary in size and personality, but they all require one thing from their masters: money.

This gives some students limited choices on what do to with their animals during holiday ski trips or adventurous spring break vacations.

Alex Boyce, a senior in human development and family studies, boarded her weimaraner, Daisy, at Moores Mill Animal Hospital last semester when she went out of town for a weekend.

"I was pleased with how she was treated," Boyce said. "I would board her again. I didn't worry about her while she was there, because I knew she was in good hands."

During spring break, standard rates will apply for boarding at Moores Mill Animal Hospital, varying with pet type and size.

For a medium-sized dog, the cost would be $13.75 each day, and $11.55 a day for an adult cat.

Many students drop their pets off at one of these locations, making spring break a busy time for the businesses.

Dr. Dan Kuykendall works at Moores Mill Animal Hospital and Village Veterinary Clinic, which is near the post office downtown.

"They will be under veterinary observation everyday, and they will get walked usually four times a day during the week," Kuykendall said. "We feed the animals high-quality food and water, and they are taken care of nicely."

If a student is planning to board his or her animal for the first time, having the name and phone number of the veterinarian and the pet's vaccination history will make the process smoother and easier for them and the animal hospital.

"We require all pets to be up to date on vaccinations to prevent disease transmission from dog to dog and cat to cat from getting into the hospital," Kuykendall said.

Pet Palace is another place for students to take their pets and can expect them to be treated well during their stay.

Pet Palace offers a cozy place for animals to sleep, play and get groomed, as well as a day camp where dogs can socialize.

The standard rate for boarding a dog at Pet Palace is $18.50, while for cats it is $14.50.

While some students board their pets in a kennel, many others rely on family or friends to take care of their animals.

Emily McBay, a junior in criminology, doesn't have to worry about boarding. She can count on her neighbor to watch over her two dogs and four cats.

"I call my neighbor, who also has dogs, and ask if she can watch my animals while I'm gone," McBay said. "She makes sure they are fed and have water, and she plays with them two to three times a day while I am gone."

To get more information on pet boarding, students can visit the companies' Web sites.

Students can also call Moores Mill Animal Hospital at 821-7739, Village Veterinary Clinic at 821-7730 or Pet Palace at 826-7297.

Share and discuss “Where to keep your pets on break” on social media.