Local band The Bandar-log brings out college crowd

Amid the electric-orange glow and festive tiki huts at Rooster's on Thursday night, Auburn's local band The Bandar-log delivered a show that made the bar's crowd experience body movement and mood improvement that put even their beers to shame.

As they usually do, the people in the audience felt the energy of the music in their own special ways. Heads bobbed, eyes watched, hips swung and even a couple bodies couldn't help but to thrash in response.

The band rocked full-force until the end, and members of the Rooster's staff were digging it, too.

"I like the genre of music they play," bartender and senior in graphic design Rachel Penn said. "It fits in well here."

The Bandar-log's music features funk-driven drums and bass with a straight rock and reggae influence on the melody.

Vocal styles are focused on storytelling and songwriting, which is exemplified in "Coretta Watch Me," a song about an imaginary conversation between Martin Luther King, Jr. and his wife at the moment of his death, and also in "Fortune's Orphan," which relates a tale about a bad break-up.

"The first thing I noticed about their sound is it's unique," said Eduardo Leon, professor of foreign language at Auburn University. "The singing and the way they verbalize their songs are unique, plus they do an awesome cover of Johnny Cash."

The Bandar-log members consist of lead guitarist Matthew Wise, rhythm guitarist and vocalist David Norwood, drummer Sam Whigham and bassist John McMeans.

Having performed at Rooster's several times before, the band was certain it'd be a good time, but they found themselves particularly pleased with how things went.

"The sound guy did an awesome job," Whigham said. "I think it was one of the better sounding shows that we've done."

Their set included 12 original songs and two covers: Stripes by Johnny Cash and Please Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood by The Animals.

For two of their songs a local rapper known as Cuzz Gambino joined in for some freestyle rapping on top of funky beats.

"I think the show went really well overall," McMeans said. "Cuzz brought the house down, and we had a pretty good crowd."

To check Cuzz Gambino's original raps, go to myspace.com/cuzzgambino.

The Bandar-log traveled to Florence, Ala., on Friday, where they played at The Smoke House.

They'll continue moving from city to city in upcoming shows which are scheduled to take place at The Olde Auburn Ale House on March 14 and Smith's Olde Bar in Atlanta, Ga., on March 16.

On April 17 and May 2, the band will play at The Olde Auburn Ale House.

To check out live performance videos and recently recorded tracks visit myspace.com/bandarlog.

Share and discuss “Local band The Bandar-log brings out college crowd” on social media.