Good Pools Around Auburn

Alabama summers mean sweltering heat and humidity, which the majority of students plan to escape by relaxing at one of Auburn's many swimming pools.

A trip to the pool after class or work in the summer months is a trend for students, but the question remains: with so many different options, which pool is the best place to spend the summer?

New additions such as Creekside and The Exchange have become increasingly popular, while old favorites such as Edge West and University Heights still draw in students as well.

Choosing the best pool, however, may just depend on what kind of atmosphere a student wants.

"The pool I choose to go to depends on what kind of mood I'm in," said Cayley Mullen, a senior in apparel merchandising. "If I want to be in more of a social scene, I'll go to Creekside. If I just want to relax, I'll go to Edge West."

Some of Auburn's swimming pools also hold special events and activities to entertain and attract students.

The Exchange, a new apartment complex located on Longleaf Drive, has four different pools to choose from, said Mike Hnytka, The Exchange's leasing manager.

Every Friday throughout the summer, the pool will host a DJ, Hnytka said.

"We've got a pool with a basketball court, a lap pool, and a tanning pool where students can lay out in about 6 inches to a foot of water," Hnytka said.

A hot tub, fire pit, basketball court and sand volleyball court adjacent to the pools also provide students with plenty of other activities for the summer, Hnytka said.

Another popular site is Creekside's resort style pool, located off Opelika Road. With three different sections of the swimming pool and a sand volleyball court, many students find this to be the best in Auburn.

"I love the Creekside pool," said Mary Jeanne Moody, a senior in pre-pharmacy. "It's just a short walk from my house, there is always music playing and there are always people I know there."

Creekside's pool and clubhouse provides a great place to escape after class, while also providing a great place to get some schoolwork done and still be able to get some sun, Moody said.

Although Creekside and The Exchange are both large with multiple swimming pools, Auburn's smaller swimming pools are still not counted out.

Some students find that the less-extravagant pool sites are the best. Locations like The Edge West on West Magnolia Avenue and the Garden District on East University Drive still retain popularity.

The Edge West pool is more laid back, Mullen said. She said she will almost always go there rather than the other more crowded pools because it is a better place to relax during the school week.

"But once Friday rolls around and it's finally the weekend, you might just catch me at a pool with a bigger crowd," Mullen said.

With so many appealing options to choose from, it's no wonder students struggle to agree on exactly which pool in Auburn is the best. As long as there is a cool escape from the summer heat, students will be there with beach towels and tanning lotions in hand.

Share and discuss “Good Pools Around Auburn” on social media.