Apple Announces New iPhone

Austin Nelson/Associate Photo Editor
Austin Nelson/Associate Photo Editor

A compass, a search engine, a GPS system, a camera, a video recorder, a voice recorder and a phone.

Wrap them all up in a sleek and shiny rectangle and you've got the new iPhone 3G S, which Apple declares is their "fastest, most powerful iPhone ever."

The new iPhone was introduced Monday at the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco, and will be in stores on Friday, June 19.

"It will be available in retail locations on the 19th," said Joe Chandler with AT&T Corporate Communications. "However, customers can pre-order the device at wireless.att.com/iphone or go into an AT&T retail location and reserve a device to be delivered on or after the 19th."

According to Apple's Web site, there are several new features that make the iPhone smarter, and the phrase "fastest, most powerful iPhone ever," seems to hold true.

Its speed conquers that of past iPhones in that it does everything two times faster with a more responsive attitude.

Many students, like Thomas Fisher who is a second year pharmacy school student, are hesitant about the effects the iPhone 3G S would have on their bank accounts.

"I'm a first generation, so I don't have a 3G," Fisher said. "I would like to get the new one just because I like to be on the edge of technology, but I just got this one, and I'm happy with it. I don't think I could take the financial burden of buying another one, yet."

Old customers who are eligible for an upgrade and new customers can get the 8GB 3G for only $99, said Chandler.

For the new iPhone 3G S, the "S" standing for speed, new and eligible customers will have to pay $199 for the 16GB and $299 for the 32GB.

The 16GB iPhone 3G will be available for $149, while supplies last.

Some of the new features that have gotten people talking are the GPS system and the ability to video record and edit directly on the phone.

"I think the video recording and editing is the coolest feature," said Elliot DeVore, a senior in civil engineering. "You can feature and edit videos right on the screen. You don't have to use any plug-ins."

Buyers can shoot a video, edit it to perfection and send it to their friends in a text or put it right up on YouTube.

As if that isn't enough, all that can be done by voice instead of fingers.

There is also a voice-recording feature called Voice Memos that records and allows on-the-spot editing.

The phone's GPS system tracks its user to his exact location and gives step by step, turn by turn directions or a highlighted map route for following.

"You can log in, and it'll use GPS to tell you where you are," DeVore said. "That's a cool feature."

Aside from all the changes and upgrades, Apple has kept the basic setup the same, so users will always feel a sense of welcome when returning to their Home screens.

Share and discuss “Apple Announces New iPhone” on social media.