Schepperle finishes 70th at '09 U.S. Open

Auburn Women's Golf at the Derby Invitational on Sunday, October 26, 2008 at Auburn, Ala.
Anthony Hall
Auburn Women's Golf at the Derby Invitational on Sunday, October 26, 2008 at Auburn, Ala. Anthony Hall

Rising senior Candace Schepperle finished 70th out of the 156-player field at the U.S. Women's Open last weekend, according to Auburn Athletics' Web site.

After carding an 8-over-par 79 in the final round, Schepperle finished with a tournament total 22-over-par 306.

The U.S. Women's Open is a 72-hole stroke play event with a cut after 36 holes. It was held over four days at the par-71 Saucon Valley Country Club, playing at 6,740 yards. The United States Golf Association conducts the Open.

She started the tournament Friday with some problems on two of the first three holes, shooting a bogey and a double bogey. She redeemed herself by shooting par on five of the last six holes.

She also had trouble on the first two holes of the back nine, shooting a pair of bogeys. However, she was able to bounce back and par six of the remaining seven holes, finishing the round in a tie for 26th with a 2-over 73, her best round of the tournament.

Schepperle was near the projected cut line after shooting a 7-over-par 78 for the day, but when the rounds were all counted she finished in a tie for 60th, narrowly missing the cut and cementing her place in the tournament for the weekend.

Former Tiger Nicole Hage also made an appearance in the Open. After posting a 3-over 74 in the first round, Hage carded an 11-over 82 in the second round, missing the cut as she finished in a tie for 104th.

In Saturday's round, Schepperle bogeyed No. 3, but carded pars on the other eight holes on the front nine. She ended up making the turn with a 1-over 37. After a double-bogey on No. 13, she headed down the stretch only 3-over-par, but carded bogeys on Nos. 17 and 18 to finish out the day at 5-over 76.

In Sunday's final round, Schepperle struggled on the front nine with four bogeys and a double bogey for a 6-over 42 at the turn. She posted three more bogeys on the back nine, but birdied No. 18 to finish the day at 8-over.

South Korea's Eun Hee Ji came from behind in the final round with an even-par 71 to take the title with an even-par 284.

Share and discuss “Schepperle finishes 70th at '09 U.S. Open” on social media.