Developer to Build 'Convenient' Parking Deck

The main complaint of students with the beginning of each school year continues to be parking on campus. As Auburn's campus progresses with the new dorms and new coliseum, parking decreases.

The University does provide some parking and operates on a successful transit system, but one group of investors wants to simplify it further.

The businessmen of Donald H. Allen Development Inc. have decided to provide another option for students and faculty to fix this growing problem.

"We have begun construction on a parking deck at 712 W. Magnolia," said Murray Neighbors, an owner of the project. "It is right across from campus, and it will be located between Edge West and the Champions Club across from the Sigma Nu house. The retaining walls have already been put in place."

The project will be completed in January 2010 at the start of spring semester. Students will be allowed access to the parking deck along with faculty, staff and campus visitors.

"Our construction will not interfere with campus or cause any traffic problems," said Donald Allen, the general contractor and owner of the project. "We do not plan to close any portion of Magnolia, but for deliveries and only 10 to 15 minutes at any time."

It is privately owned with no costs added to tuition. Students can now leave their apartments knowing that a parking spot on campus will be waiting for them.

"We plan to have an hourly, daily and monthly rate with a 5-day and 7-day rate," Allen said. "It will be a automated system that operates with a barcode on a card to swipe as you enter and exit the facility. Otherwise, you can pay with a credit or debit card if you are hourly or daily."

A Tiger Transit stop is located in front of the building. Bike racks are also being installed to make transportation easier for customers.

The deck will have a ground floor with five additional vertical floors and two elevators. It will have approximately 920 parking places with 15 handicap spots once it's completed. Several parking places will even have access to charge hybrid cars.

The front of the building will be brick to attempt to mesh with the style of the rest of campus.

"We want to portray the character and image to fit the University," said Greg Darden, the development manager. "The main thing is the convenience of parking."

The location will be well lit and operate on a security camera system to provide safety for the customers.

"We want to make it simple to come to campus," Allen said. "It will be open 24 hours and seven days a week."

A Web site for the parking deck is still being developed within the next few weeks. Costs and rates for parking are being figured, but will be available for release along with the Web site's debut.

"We want the deck to be web-friendly and convenient for our customers," Neighbors said. "All the information about reserving, renewing and payment will be available online."

Share and discuss “Developer to Build 'Convenient' Parking Deck” on social media.