AU Rhythm Aspires to Star on BET's '106 & Park'

Rod Guajardo/ Photo Editor
Rod Guajardo/ Photo Editor

AU Rhythm, Auburn's only hip-hop dance group, entertained fans at Friday night's first pep rally of the year.

"I enjoy dancing at the pep rallies because we get a chance to show our school spirit and prove to any and everyone that has doubts that AU Rhythm deserves to be apart of the Auburn family," said senior Chris Colvin, AU Rhythm's captain. "The pep rallies are a good way to prove our worth and show that AU Rhythm is supported around campus."

AU Rhythm is a co-ed dance team that performs at pep rallies and other events on campus, while being involved in the community.

"I come to all the pep rallies with my sorority and we all love to see AU Rhythm dance," said junior Megan Moore. "It seems like every year I've been here they have gotten better and more innovative. They are so energetic. I love them."

AU Rhythm is fully student run and choreographs all of their routines.

"We had auditions last week and, as of right now, AU Rhythm has 14 new members," Colvin said. "We have a new group of dancers from all type of dance backgrounds. While we are a hip hop dance team, don't be surprised if you see AU Rhythm incorporating ballet, jazz, tap or any other style of dance in our routines."

Sophomore Gabrielle Green said she was pleased with her first big performance with the team, even with a "set" setback.

"I think the pep rally went real well despite the small stage." Green said. "We did well and really supported each other."

The team surprised students and fans Friday by performing with Auburn's mascot, Aubie.

"AU Rhythm has wanted to dance with Aubie for quite some time now, and it was a privilege to come together with Aubie and perform for the student body," Colvin said.

AU Rhythm co-captain, junior Portia Duncan, said the team would love to perform more around campus.

"This year, AU Rhythm is hoping to do a lot," Colvin said. "We have a competition and a dance showcase coming up and are also hoping to host our own dance showcase in the near future. Above all, we hope to be seen on a larger scale so hopefully after we are recognized locally, we hope to join the national scene with the possibility of going on '106 & Park.'"

"106 & Park" is a music video countdown show on BET. Similar to MTV's Total Request Live, but with a hip-hop focus and weekly competitions, "Wild Out Wednesday" and "Freestyle Friday."

According to BET's Web site, one champion of "Freestyle Friday" was cast in the movie "Fast & Furious II."

"Our motto is, 'The price of glory is high. The door to success is labeled push,'" Colvin said. "This year, the Rhythm will push harder than it has ever pushed before."

Duncan said AU Rhythm is "one big happy family," and their chemistry on the stage is a direct result of their close relationships.

"AU Rhythm is more than just a dance team," Colvin said. "We are involved around campus and in the community. This year, we will make sure that the student body knows that AU Rhythm can do more than dance."

Share and discuss “AU Rhythm Aspires to Star on BET's '106 & Park'” on social media.