Auburn City Council Meeting on Sept. 15

Citizens gathered in the Auburn City Council Chamber. Minutes from Sept. 1 were read and approved.

Auburn University's Student Government Association distributed facts regarding Toomer's Ten. The nightly transportation system is now averaging 590 riders per night. The numbers of riders has increased from 1,600 in the first week to 2,150 in the third week.

The office of the city manager discussed recreating signs for theToomer's Ten bus line. "It creates a little confusion during the day-time," said Assistant City Manager Kevin Cowper. "We have people pulling in there and then backing out when they see tow-away zone."

During citizen's communications, Lisa Morgan, an Auburn resident, voiced her discontent that the town of Auburn had lost the bid on the new movie theater to Opelika.

"Nobody says these things," Morgan said. "I'm just here to say it out loud - We lost the revenue from that, because Opelika is a better competitor."

Despite Morgan's dissatisfaction with Auburn losing the bid on the theater, she was pleased with the West Pace Village development. She also said she wishes Auburn will continue to promote large-scale developments.

The Council approved rezoning for West Pace Village development. The 150.89 acre property located between Interstate 85 and Shell Toomer Parkway from rural to comprehensive development district.

Bridge replacement and road widening on North Donahue Drive over Saugahatchee Creek was approved.

The Auburn Public Safety Department has granted East Alabama Healthcare Authority $289,476 for emergency response and ambulance services.

The next Auburn City Council meeting will be held Oct. 6 in the City Council Chamber at 141 N. Ross St.

Share and discuss “Auburn City Council Meeting on Sept. 15” on social media.