Equestrian shuts out TCU, SMU

Auburn equestrian team competed in its season opener Friday against the Texas Christian University Horned Frogs in the morning and the Southern Methodist University Mustangs in the afternoon.

Auburn defeated TCU 13-6 and SMU 7-4.

"The team as a whole showed up to win," said senior Hunt Seat rider Liza Luker. "All of us are in this together and everyone contributes something to make this team special. Everyone rode well, and our hard work and determination make these two very special wins."

Auburn won Hunt Seat Equitation Over Fences against TCU 4-1. Anna Schierholz was awarded MVP defeating Taylor Frederick 90-73. Maggie McAlary defeated Tassie Munroe 75-65.

Grace Socha defeated Lauren Quiroz 87-82. Elise Fraza defeated Julie Skobel 85-75. Luker was the demonstrator.

Auburn won Hunt Seat Equitation on the Flat against TCU 3-2. TCU's Jessica Hagen was awarded MVP.

Chelsea Anheuser defeated Julie Skobel 64-59. Maggie McAlary defeated Tassie Munroe 68-65. Katie Breedlove defeated Callie Selchau 63-48.

Auburn won Western Horsemanship against TCU 4-0, and MVP was given to Indy Roper.

Texas Christian won Western Reining 3-2, but MVP was awarded to Auburn's Paige Monfore. Lyndsey Jordan defeated Ashton Mikinas 69.5-67.5. Jillian Fuller defeated Chloe Baker 69.5-69.

"I was very happy with my ride, because I beat my competitor by two points," senior Western Rider Jordan said. "The rest of the team was amazing. The Western and Hunt Seat teams did great in both meets."

Auburn won Hunt Seat Equitation Over Fences 5-1 against SMU, and MVP was awarded to Schierholz with a score of 85. Anheuser defeated Lauren Lieberman 78-76. McAlary defeated Lucy Needham 79-70. Grace Socha defeated Emily Gardner 76-72, and Mallory Kolpin defeated Alex Roos 74-68.

SMU won Hunt Seat Equitation on the Flat 3-2. Anheuser defeated Clair Wenholz 79-70. Lindsay Portela defeated Laura Ratliff 75-46.

"I was happy to be awarded MVP, especially considering it is rare to receive two MVP's in one day," Schierholz said. "Winning MVP is about the last thing on my mind when I am entering the arena. I am concentrating solely on winning my point and helping the team win the meet."

The difference between Hunt Seat and Western is the type of saddle used, and each has different disciplines.

Hunt Seat involves jumping and equitation on the flat. Western involves reining and horsemanship, which is based on the rider's body position.

Schierholz said she was thrilled with the team's performance Friday, and the entire team came together to pull off the wins.

"We have high hopes and really want to do well this year," Jordan said. "This semester we do not have as many meets as we do second semester, so we want to keep our confidence and energy up. We have amazing girls and a lot of talent, so we are very excited."

Although early in the season, the team is already working toward its individual and group goals.

"Our team goals are to win the overall national championship, and to win both the hunt seat and western competitions at nationals," Schierholz said. "The season has just started, and we have all season to build toward nationals. Winning SEC's would be a great experience also, considering they are at home this year."

At each meet, the Auburn equestrian team hosts events to keep the crowd entertained in between rides. These events include pony rides, painting ponies and building toy ponies.

Auburn will host the University of South Carolina Friday, Oct. 2 at the Auburn Horse Center across from the Vet school on Wire Road.

Share and discuss “Equestrian shuts out TCU, SMU” on social media.