Rugby Club Starts the Season, Still Looking For Numbers

Auburn University's Rugby Club has become known as both one of the oldest on campus and one that constantly brings in a new interest group to learn the game, because of those factors and the adrenaline received from playing.

The existence of the Rugby Club is based to promote the sport and culture of rugby football in the Auburn community.

Though it is extremely demanding and fast paced, there is not a specific limit in body type or size, nor is previous experience in Rugby is required. Many of the players have never been on a Rugby team before Auburn and possess other athletic backgrounds such as in baseball or football.

"The most exciting thing about being a rookie on the Auburn Rugby Club is that everyone on the team is incredibly supportive and won't hesitate to help you with anything even though you haven't known them for very long," said freshman Rich Crawford. "From what I can tell I think that we have a great group of guys on the team which makes any athletic season enjoyable."

While the Rugby Club promotes the association to build a stronger bond between the team members, they reach out into the outside community. Their "Little Sisters" program gives the female fans of the sport to be involved with the team, while associating with the team players.

The team members seek to develop stronger fellowship with one another, as well as with the other team that they play. After every match it is customary for the home team to have a gathering and invite the visiting competitors.

They take that opportunity to meet the members of other teams and to associate in a relaxed setting outside of the field.

Even though they may not have as many experienced players, the team still holds strong when competing in the Southeastern League of USA Rugby South. (which includes Georgia, Mississippi State, Alabama, Ole Miss, Vanderbilt and Tennessee, of whom they play in the Spring season. In the fall, it's primarily exhibition and tournaments.)

"Due to depth issues on the roster," said Rugby Club President Jim Smith. "We have already played several new members. Three have already scored for the team: Michael Ruple, Ross Anderson and Rich Crawford."

Beginning on Friday, Sept. 11, the Rugby Club participated in a tournament held at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tenn. Auburn had overall results of two wins and a single loss. The first match was on Friday against Vanderbilt, in which Auburn took the victory with the ending score of Auburn 12 Vanderbilt 3. Day two in the morning session of the tournament notched a 35-7 victory for the Tigers against Georgia Tech; however, in the afternoon session they fell short to Ball State, trailing by a try (or five points) in a 22-17 scoring game.

The next match will take place against Jacksonville State University at Auburn Sept. 19 beginning at noon at The Pitch (at the corner of Hemlock and Thach, across from Farmhouse and TKE).

Practices which are Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3 p.m. to 5:30 p.m., and are open to the students, grad and undergrad alike, for the fall season. The Rugby Club is also looking for a coach that has any rugby knowledge or experience. They must be affiliated with the school, preferably faculty.

Students interested in joining can go to auburn.edu/rugby for contact information.Rugyby

Share and discuss “Rugby Club Starts the Season, Still Looking For Numbers” on social media.