Sailing Club Prepares for Regatta, Season

Mark Twain once said, "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Auburn University's Sailing Club offers students a chance to do just that. The Sailing Club's purpose is to promote sailing at Auburn University by providing the organization, equipment and instruction to encourage recreational and competitive sailing.

No previous sailing experience is needed to be a part of the Sailing Club.

"We will teach everyone from beginners to someone who wants to race," said Kyle Stadele, a member of the Sailing Club. "We just want to sail, have fun and meet new people."

The mention of a Sailing Club sends students thoughts to open waters far from Auburn, but in reality the Sailing Club practices and spends its days at Lake Martin, a 45-minute drive from campus.

"We try to get together as much as possible, mostly Saturday mornings or Sunday afternoons and sail around on Lake Martin out of Dixie Yacht Club on the north side of the lake," said Tim Laupert, vice president of the Sailing Club. "We try to carpool, so new members do not have to drive or pay for gas. Just come sailing for the day."

In addition to the recreational aspect, the Sailing Club also competes in a regatta which means boat races.

The Sailing Club switched to the South Atlantic Intercollegiate Sailing Association where it will compete in a regatta in Charleston, S.C., Sept. 12 and 13.

"There are 10 regattas (competitions) that we can go to a year," said Sammy Hodges, Sailing Club president. "Most regattas are one day of sailing. We will go to the regatta location on a Friday afternoon, meet with the other schools Friday night, sail on Saturday, hang out with the other sailors Saturday night and drive home Sunday morning. We need four members to go to each regatta, but we can take as many as we want. Some people go just to see what it's like or just to have a good time."

They are looking to also attend regattas at Clemson University, University of Tennessee and Tulane University.

"Regattas are fun," Stadele said. "Everyone is enjoying themselves, you meet people from different colleges and you get to be on the water in a beautiful place."

Students who are interested are encouraged to go to the Sailing Club Web site at auburnsailing.org and join its mailing list to become a member.

Its dues are $30 a semester and members receive unlimited instruction. No prior sailing knowledge or ability is required for its recreational sailing.

In the next few weeks, the club plans to have barbeque socials and other events to kick off the year.

Share and discuss “Sailing Club Prepares for Regatta, Season” on social media.