Soccer travels to Miss. State

Auburn University women's soccer team travels to Starkville, Miss., for the beginning of its SEC conference play against undefeated Mississippi State Friday.

After playing the top teams in the country and playing the No.1 ranked University of North Carolina to a tie in double overtime, head coach Karen Hoopa said the team has already grown a lot since the beginning of the season.

"We didn't realize how good we can be until today (after the draw against UNC)," Hoppa said. "We shut out the No. 1 team in the country for the first time this year. Each week we have gotten better and better."

As Auburn prepares for Friday's game, playing on the road is something the team takes into consideration.

"We know that when you play on the road it is going to be that much harder," said Chelsea Yauch, senior midfielder and captain. "We just try to get pumped up and really excited on away trips because even though it is not your own home field, you have to play that much harder."

Hoppa said playing away games presents different challenges than playing at home, and the environment on the road is tough.

"You are playing against a crowd cheering against you, the grass is different which makes the ball a little different and there is a little bit of flexibility on the size of the field," Hoppa said. "Just like any sports it is harder to play on the road."

Mississippi State women's soccer team is undefeated.

The Bulldogs have outscored their opponents 12-4 in seven games this season.

Hoppa said Auburn will have to set the same pace defensively Friday as when they tied the top team in the country, UNC.

Hoppa also said Mississippi State will present a challenge offensively for the Auburn team and that work will not stop after the Duke Nike Cup tournament success.

"We have so many things good about us," said Amy Howard, freshman goalkeeper. "We have a tremendous backline, strong midfield and center."

Hoppa said Auburn's success can't be defined on which side of the ball is stronger-offense or defense, but depends on the team's leadership and chemistry.

"I think as a team we have great chemistry," Yauch said. "It starts with off the field and then it comes on the field. We have really good leadership."

Hoppa agreed with Yauch that good leaders make for good players.

"You play better when you play for people you care about and get along with," Hoppa said.

The game against Mississippi State is scheduled to begin at 7 p.m. and afterward the team will travel to play Ole Miss in Oxford, Miss., Sunday at 2 p.m.

The Ole Miss game will be televised live on ESPNU.

"We just want to take it one game at a time, focus on our game and play our best," Howard said.

Share and discuss “Soccer travels to Miss. State” on social media.