Tigers Ball on Ball State

The Auburn Tigers (4-0, 1-0 SEC) defeated the Ball State Cardinals (0-4,1-0) 54-30.

"It was great to get our fourth win tonight," said Auburn head coach Gene Chizik.

For the second straight week, the football game was delayed, this time 28 minutes, by inclement weather in the Auburn area.

The Tigers got off to a slow start and fell behind 7-0 early in the first quarter. Auburn picked up their play though and scored 30 unanswered points. Senior quarterback Chris Todd was a big part of the team's comeback. He became the first quarterback in Auburn history to throw for four or more touchdowns in consecutive games. He also tied the Auburn single-game record with five touchdown passes.

"Chris has done an outstanding job week by week trying to operate and manage and run the offense, and he has done a really nice job of that," Chizik said.

Todd said that he was unaware of the record before the game and gave the credit to the offensive line.

"The line did a great job all night and they've really done a great job all season," Todd said. "They allow us to put the ball in the air which helps us make things happen. We also have a bunch of guys stepping up and that's why we're winning games."

Junior wide receiver Terrell Zachary caught two of Todd's touchdown strikes, one for 46 yards and the other for 65 yards.

"He's made some nice runs with the ball after catch and has made some yards after catch that have been impressive," Chizik said.

Auburn's defense continued to cause turnovers Saturday night by forcing and recovering two Ball State fumbles.

"If we can keep taking the ball away and keep giving our offense more chances with the football, obviously, the more chance we are going to have to win the game," Chizik said.

Auburn travels to Knoxville, Tenn., next week to face the Tennessee Volunteers. The game will air on ESPN at 6:45 p.m. CDT.

Share and discuss “Tigers Ball on Ball State” on social media.