Auburn Loses Third Straight to LSU

BATON ROUGE, La. - Auburn Tigers football lost its third game in as many weeks Saturday to Louisiana State University, 31-10.

"LSU played a great game," said Auburn head coach Gene Chizik. "From the beginning to the end, they executed better than we did, and I'd say they beat us in about every phase of the football game."

LSU opened up the scoring in the first quarter on a fade pass to junior wide receiver Terrance Toliver from sophomore quarterback Jordan Jefferson in the back corner of the endzone.

Jefferson also ran for a touchdown in the first quarter to extend the LSU Tigers' lead to 14.

LSU took its 14-0 lead into the second quarter.

The Bayou Bengals added a field goal in the second quarter and held onto that lead until halftime.

Auburn was hindered by penalties in the first half, committing seven for 64 yards.

"Early in the game we got ourselves in trouble," Chizik said. "We calmed down after that, but sloppy first quarter."

The LSU defense was able to keep Auburn's offense in check during the first half, holding it to only 42 total yards.

"The whole offense right now is being unproductive," Chizik said.

Senior LSU wide receiver Brandon LaFell caught a 17-yard pass from Jefferson on the first drive of the second half to take the lead, 24-0.

Jefferson had a career game, throwing for 242 yards and two touchdowns.

"He had a big night, he executed really well," Chizik said.

Auburn responded with a 24-yard field goal from junior placekicker Wes Byrum. The scoring drive measured 53 yards, 11 more than Auburn had the entire first half.

Freshman LSU quarterback Russell Shepard scored on a 69-yard rush with 1:09 left in the third quarter and extended LSU's lead to 28 points, 31-3.

Auburn was able to find the endzone with eight seconds left in the game on a pass from junior quarterback Neil Caudle to freshman tight end Philip Lutzenkirchen.

Senior quarterback Chris Todd was held under 100 yards passing for the second week in a row. He finished the game eight for 14 for 47 yards and one interception.

Auburn finished the game with 112 rushing yards, with senior running back Ben Tate leading the way with 67.

Caudle came in for Todd in the fourth quarter, going three for five for 34 yards and a touchdown.

Sophomore linebacker Eltoro Freeman led all defenders with 12 tackles including two for loss and one sack.

"He was playing fast, playing with a lot of enthusiasm," Chizik said. "I think he helped our football team tonight."

Auburn faces the University of Mississippi at Jordan-Hare Stadium next Saturday. Kickoff is set for 11:21 a.m. CDT.

"We got to come back out and find a way to win next week," Chizik said.

Share and discuss “Auburn Loses Third Straight to LSU” on social media.