Cardinals Fall to Tigers, 54-30

Senior quarterback Chris Todd led the Tigers (4-0) to their fourth victory of the season, beating Ball State University (0-4) 54-30.

Todd threw five touchdown passes, one more than last week, tying for the school single-game record set by Daniel Cobb in 2001 against Louisiana Tech.

"I'm really proud of Chris again," said head coach Gene Chizik. "Chris has done an outstanding job week by week trying to operate and manage and run the offense, and he has done a really nice job of that."

Todd completed 19 of 26 passing attempts and was not intercepted.

Although the Cardinals scored first, Todd and the Tiger offense answered with seven touchdowns and 560 total offensive yards.

On the receiving end of Todd's first touchdown pass was senior tight end Tommy Trott, who caught a 6-yard pass in the endzone, his first touchdown reception of the year, with 2:53 left in the first quarter.

Junior wide receiver Terrell Zachery complimented Todd's performance, scoring two touchdowns in the second quarter.

The first was a 46-yard pass from Todd with 13:47 left in the second quarter.

Just over five minutes later ,with 8:22 left in the quarter, Zachery scored on a 65-yard pass from Todd, making the score 30-7.

"(Zachery) has really come in every game and you just see him show up, and he's made some big plays," Chizik said. "He's made some nice runs with the ball after catch and has made some yards after catch that have been impressive. I just think he's getting better every week."

Freshman running back Onterio McCalebb put points on the board in the second quarter scoring on a 1-yard run. McCalebb left the game because of injury but is expected to play in this week's game.

With 11:39 left in the third quarter, Todd hit sophomore wide receiver Darvin Adams for a 26-yard pass in the endzone.

Junior running back Mario Fannin caught a 36-yard touchdown pass from Todd with 7:09 remaining in the third quarter. The Tigers led 47-17 at the beginning of the fourth quarter.

Junior Neil Caudle entered in relief of Todd during the fourth quarter.

Caudle scored his first career touchdown on a 52-yard run.

Auburn's defense held Ball State's offense to 260 total offensive yards and only three touchdowns.

The Tigers take on the University of Tennessee (2-2) Saturday at 6:45 C.S.T.

Share and discuss “Cardinals Fall to Tigers, 54-30” on social media.