Outreach Program Offers Computer Classes

Auburn's Outreach Program offers a variety of opportunities for people of any age or location to reap the benefits of Auburn's educational resources.

Beginning Oct. 20, the Outreach Program is offering a series of computer classes featuring tutorials on Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access.

"The ultimate goal of these computer classes is to give the opportunity for people from all generations to learn more and become better skilled at operating the programs," said John Freeze, associate director of the Outreach Program.

These classes are offered to the local community through this program. Class terms range from 50 to 75 short courses and classes are typically conducted in the evenings or on weekends to reduce schedule conflicts. This year the classes will be taught by Audrey Marshall, an instructor from Auburn High School.

"These community courses will range from basic, intermediate and advanced material," Freeze said.

The Access course is aimed for people with little or no Access experience. The class familiarizes students with terminology and an overview of basic features.

The Excel for beginners is geared toward learning spreadsheet features, and participants with spreadsheet experience may gain a better understanding and learn how to increase their efficiency.

The Excel Intermediate class is for experienced Excel users wanting to navigate the new program and take advantage of the new features as well as learn to import and export data.

The PowerPoint class introduces the new look of MS PowerPoint 2007 and will teach how to create a presentation using templates and how to add media elements to a presentation.

The Word Intermediate class is for participants who are already familiar with Word, and the class will cover more advanced topics such as manipulating graphics and saving a Word document for the Web.

"I think any computer classes are extremely beneficial in this day and age," said Elizabeth Carbine, a junior in entrepreneurship and family business. "I took the computer course Auburn offers, and I learned about things Word and Excel had to offer that I never even knew existed."

The goals of the program are to provide high quality and continuing education programs to the citizens of Alabama and beyond.

The Outreach Program Office seeks to improve the overall efficiency of the non-credit educational programming effort by increasing the total amount of program income generated and the total number of participants enrolled per dollar of University funding invested in a year.

"With technology increasing at such a high rate, computer programming classes are crucial," said Rebecca Wren, a junior in accounting. "The classes I've taken have improved my computer skills tenfold, and now I can better manage anything that comes my way."

Computer classes range anywhere from $40 to $65. People interested can register at https://mell-base.uce.auburn.edu/wconnect/ace/home.htm.

For more information call the Outreach Program Office at 844-5100.

Share and discuss “Outreach Program Offers Computer Classes” on social media.