Soccer defeats Vandy, falls to Kentucky

Despite a convincing win over Vanderbilt (6-6-3, 3-4-0 SEC) Friday, the Auburn Soccer team (6-7-3, 3-5-0 SEC) fell to Kentucky (5-7-4, 2-5-1 SEC), 2-1 Sunday. The team is 1-4 in its last five games.

Senior Caitlin King was a bright spot in the Tigers' loss, scoring her third goal of the weekend in the 64th minute, capitalizing on freshman Ana Cate's feed.

"Sunday was disappointing for us," King said. "We let it slip away. We should have come out with a win."

Auburn took 22 shots, 13 more than Kentucky, but was unable to score any goals aside from King's fifth of the season.

"Kentucky did a better job of finishing their chances; it's that simple," said head coach Karen Hoppa. "We had the opportunities, we had the chances, but we didn't finish. They had less opportunities and finished a higher percentage, and because of that one detail, they deserved to win to the game."

Kentucky scored the first goal in the 20th minute when Guileana Lopez finished off a cross off a free kick from a step inside the six for her fourth goal of the season.

Auburn took 14 shots in the first half compared to Kentucky's three, but Kentucky goalkeeper Laura Burton, in her first start of the season, had four saves to keep the Tigers scoreless.

After King's goal tied the score, Kentucky's Laura Novikoff answered with her first score of the season in the 75th minute to regain the lead.

"Kentucky's first goal was off of a free kick into the wind, and it was one of those scrambles in the box where they came up with it, and we didn't," Hoppa said. "The second one we just got beat. We got beat on the end line on the cutback, and we got beat in the box, and Novikoff had a great finish on the flick header."

King had a match-high seven shots, five of which went on goal.

Auburn's freshman goalkeeper Amy Howard finished the game with five saves and 90 on the season. Burton had seven saves.

King said she was happy with her performance this weekend.

"I felt like (Vanderbilt and Kentucky) were the two best games of my season so far," King said. "With the whole team working hard offensively, I was able to get the ball a lot and put three goals away. Unfortunately, we lost Sunday, and I wish I would have put one more goal away."

Auburn is now sitting third in the SEC West, behind LSU and Ole Miss.

The Tigers have three games remaining before the SEC Tournament begins in Orange Beach.

"I think for SECs we know we are going to have to step it up a level like we did Friday and come out ready right away," King said. "We need to stay mentally focused and continue to take what we do in practice into the games."

The team will face Tennessee in Knoxville Thursday at 7 p.m., followed by a home game against Georgia, Oct. 25.

To finish their fall schedule, the Tigers will challenge the Crimson Tide in Tuscaloosa, Oct. 30.

"As a team, I think we all know these next three games are extremely important to win," King said. "We need to play like it could be our last game from start to finish in order to get into the tournament."

Share and discuss “Soccer defeats Vandy, falls to Kentucky” on social media.