Tigers to Travel to Rocky Top

The Auburn Tigers (4-0) hit the road for the first time this season to take on the University of Tennessee Volunteers (2-2).

Saturday's game marks the first time since 2004 that the Tigers will travel to Knoxville.

The Tigers come off a 54-30 win over Ball State University in a game once again delayed by rain.

Auburn ranks third in the nation in scoring offense (45.3) and is tied for third in total offense with 526.3 yards per game.

Head coach Gene Chizik said he was happy with the win, but not happy with the way it was won.

"It's going to be the beginning of a tough month, and we are going to have to play lights out to beat them," Chizik said after Saturday's game. "We will have to play heads and tails above of where we were tonight if we have a chance to beat Tennessee."

Auburn ranks sixth in the nation in rushing offense (261.3) and has two of the top four rushers in the SEC in senior running back Ben Tate (103 ypg) and freshman running back Onterio McCalebb (91.2 ypg).

This offense will be tested against a Tennessee defense that is ranked eighth in the nation for yards given up per game (233) and will be led by junior defensive back and All-American Eric Berry.

Auburn has scored 181 points so far this season, which is the most in the first four games of any season in school history and just 27 points lower than Auburn scored all of last year.

Both junior wide receiver/quarterback Kodi Burns and McCalebb left the game early last week with small injuries.

Chizik said more will be known about Burns and McCalebb's statuses as the days go by.

The Volunteers will play a second straight home game, coming off a 34-23 win over Ohio University.

Vols senior quarterback Jonathan Crompton threw for 222 yards, completing 17-34 passes and one interception.

Senior Montario Hardesty ran 20 times for 140 yards and had an 11-yard touchdown run.

Hardesty leads the SEC and ranks eighth nationally, averaging 121.3 yards rushing per game.

The Tennessee defense held the Bobcat offense to just 21 rushing yards on 17 carries, an average 1.2 yards per rush, but suffered a critical blow, losing junior middle linebacker Nick Reveiz in the closing minutes in the third quarter with a knee injury.

Reveiz ranked third on the team with 19 tackles before Saturday's game and will likely be out for the season.

Vols' junior defensive end Chris Walker is tied for second in the SEC with four sacks this season and will take on the Auburn offensive line, which has given up only two sacks this year.

Auburn leads the series against Tennessee 26-21-3 and has won four straight, which ties the longest streak in series history for the Tigers.

Saturday's game will be televised nationally by ESPN at 6:45 p.m. C.S.T.

Share and discuss “Tigers to Travel to Rocky Top” on social media.