Vet Student Receives Scholarship

Jonetta Tabor, a third-year veterinary student at Auburn, was awarded the 2009 American Association of Bovine Practitioners Foundation-Pfizer Veterinary Student Scholarship.

"I am very grateful for the support as I seek to fulfill my goal of becoming a large animal practicing veterinarian," Tabor said.

Eleven recipients were chosen, each receiving $5,000 in scholarship money to be used towards an education in large animal medicine.

"A truly outstanding group of recipients has been named for this inaugural group of scholarships," said Gatz Riddell, DVM, AABP executive vice president. "AABP is excited to see such dedication to the bovine veterinary medicine field."

Roger Saltman, DVM, MBA, the director of cattle veterinary operations at Pfizer Animal Health, emphasized the need for large animal veterinarians.

"With fewer than 10 percent of graduating students from U.S. veterinary schools interested in large animal medicine, this scholarship program reinforces the need for the younger generation's interest in our field," Saltman said.

Tabor's decision to pursue large animal medicine was not made without prior experience. The award recipient was raised on a 300-head beef cattle operation.

"This scholarship further emphasizes the importance of food animal veterinarians and reminds me they are only a small number of today's graduating veterinarians," Tabor said.

Share and discuss “Vet Student Receives Scholarship” on social media.