Women's tennis returns from hard fought tournament

Auburn University Women's Tennis team traveled to Tallahassee, Fla., this past weekend to play in the Seminole Quad tournament, hosted by Florida State University.

The team had it's ups and down in the cold weather throughout the tournament with eight out of nine losses in doubles matches and nine out of 17 wins in singles matches.

"It was fun to get to play teams that we normally don't play during season, but the weather was really cold and windy so it made for some ugly tennis," said Heather Bybee, a 5-foot-1 senior from Longmont, Colo. "It was a good measure of how we are doing with nationally ranked competition like FSU, Florida International University and Iowa, all teams that post consistent results every season."

The tournament started on Oct. 16 with three straight losses in doubles matches.

Jessica Sucupira and Francesca Segarelli of FSU defeated senior All-American Fani Chifchieva and Plamena Kurteva of Auburn, 8-3. Myrthe Molenveld and Daniela Vukadinovic of Auburn were defeated by FSU's Frederica and Amy Sargeant, 8-6. Caroline Thornton and Paulina Schippers of Auburn also lost their match against Bonny Davidson and Katie Rybakova of FSU, 8-3.

"We did a better job working and fought hard today," said head coach Tim Gray. "I think we made fewer mental errors and that was the difference in several matches. I'm happy with our progress. "

Auburn later then won five out of six singles matches on the first day of the tournament. Chifchieva handled Iowa's Sonjar Holnar in three sets with scores of 4-6, 7-6 and 6-0. Auburn's only downfall in singles was when Molenveld fell to Iowa's Lynne Poggensee-Wei in straight sets, 7-5, 7-5.

The day ended with four victories in a row after Molenveld's loss. Auburn's Vukadinovic beat Cuzi Chmelarona of Iowa in three sets 6-1, 6-7, 6-3. Thornton earned another three-set win for the Tigers against Iowa's Alexis Dorr 4-6, 6-1, 6-3.

The last two victories for Auburn came in straight sets from Schippers over Iowa's Jessica Young 7-5 and 6-4. While Jill Hastenath conquered Hawkeye Kelcie Klocvegna 6-2 and 6-1.

"All three freshman (Plamena Kurteva, Schippers and Thornton) showed fight and passion like a senior would have," Bybee said. "Kurteva has been improving every day since she came to Auburn. She is making changes in her game that will make her more competitive to SEC play in the spring."

The second day was full of disappointment for Auburn.

The Tigers lost five out of six doubles matches and also lost five out six singles matches. The only victories of the day for the team belongs to the three freshmen of the team. Thornton and Schippers defeated Mari Vallasciani and Magali Holt of FIU 8-1, in doubles matches. Kurteva won against Bonny Davidson of FSU 5-2, in singles matches.

The three-day Seminole Quad tournament came to an end Oct. 18. Singles matches were the only matches played on the final day of play. Auburn was successful with four out six victories. Winners included Molenveld over FIU's Chrissie Seredni 6-2 and 6-0. Thornton over FIU's Mariana Muci 5-4. Schippers over FIU's Maria Valliansciani 6-3 and 6-3. Bybee over FIU's Magali Holt 6-2 and 6-0. The two losses belong to Hastenrath who was beat by FIU's Maria Spenceley 6-2 and 7-6. While Kurteva was defeated by Iowa's Mary Beelen 6-1 and 6-0.

The Auburn Tigers Women's tennis team will host singles and doubles matches Oct. 23 at the ITA(Intercollegiate Tennis Association) Southern Regional, a 12-team tournament held at the Yarborough Tennis Center, according to auburntigers.cstv.com.

Share and discuss “Women's tennis returns from hard fought tournament” on social media.