Youth unemployment rate increases in August

This past August saw yet another increase in the national unemployment rate. However, one group that was hit especially hard was the teenage population.

According to the Labor Department almost 1.7 million people ages 16 to 19 are without a job. This computes to almost 21 percent of teenagers.

This is more than 6 percent higher than the teen unemployment rate last year.

"This is a tough time for everyone economically," said Sarah Haley, the press secretary for Jeff Sessions. "The employment rate is the highest it's been in 25 years."

Due to the recession, several companies who depend on summer jobs, like restaurants and golf courses, hired fewer workers this past summer. This was a big concern for the biggest seasonal job group: teenagers.

It is even harder for those who don't have high school diplomas, as the unemployment rate for those without GED's or diplomas is more than 10 percent higher than it was last year.

Because of this, the Labor Department has emphasized the need for a higher education.

The unemployment may also be due to many elderly people not retiring.

Some theorize that the high unemployment rate may also be distorted.

According to a recent article in the Wall Street Journal many of the more desirable potential employees are going off to college. Harry Holzer, an economist at Georgetown University, said most of the kids who go to college are the kind of workers who employers look for. When they go off to college this creates a void in the labor force, but also distorts the numbers.

The Labor Department encourages getting a higher education. Over a lifetime those who have an undergraduate degree will make millions more than those who just have a GED or high school diploma.

Target, whose staff includes about 20 percent teenagers, hasn't noticed a difference in retention between age groups even during these tough economic times.

"It's pretty much the same across the board," said Dwayne Brown, store manager at Target. "But people are coming in all the time asking for jobs."

Nick Woods, the manager of American Eagle - a popular teen shopping spot - has noticed the same development.

"We have about 10 to 15 kids come in each day asking about job applications," Woods said. "We're swamped right now."

The American Eagle in Opelika, whose staff includes three teens, has to work around their schedule. This may be why not many teens hold leadership positions.

"Most of them have class until after 12," Woods said. "So they usually get the night shift so they can't be shift managers."

Woods also knows what it takes to keep his workers.

"Most people, especially teens, have to work for a company they enjoy," Woods said. "They have to like the atmosphere and the people they work with."

During the 2001 recession, the adult and teen economies both suffered. However the adult employment rate got back on track. Not the same story for teens. During the past few years, many employers have hired immigrants instead of teens. Last summer, an estimated 100,000 plus teens lost their jobs when minimum wage increased to $7.25. Standardizing test scores also seems to hurt young people's chances as well.

A study done by the University of Cincinnati found that the federal No Child Left Behind policy put more of an emphasis on test scores rather than developing skills necessary for the work force.

In 2006 more than 400 U.S. executives took a survey called "Are They Ready to Work?" The survey stated that most entry-level employees lack the skills necessary to carry out the job. This includes college students.

Haley said Senator Sessions has strongly supported acts that help teenagers as well as older people find jobs. She also said the senator has supported acts that give grants to organizations that show young people how to find and apply for jobs.

"Even though he isn't in the education and labor committee, he strongly supports acts that limit government spending," Haley said. "This will eventually help small businesses so they can have more money to hire more young people."

Share and discuss “Youth unemployment rate increases in August” on social media.