Auburn Baseball Holds Fall Classic

The gray team swept the series by defeating the white team in all three games of Auburn baseball's annual Fall World Series at Plainsman Park Thursday, Friday and Sunday.

Since the beginning of fall semester, Auburn has been dividing into two teams for weekly intrasquad scrimmages.

"This fall we have made some really good progress as a team; just getting to know everyone since we have a whole new recruiting class this season," said shortstop Casey McElroy. "We feel like we grew as a team."

Fall World Series games are the final scrimmages before the team can begin official practice for its upcoming season.

The success of the three-day series has players eager for the season to begin.

"Our pitching this year is a lot better than last year, and basically our overall offensive approach kind of changed our mind-set a lot with our new coaches," McElroy said.

The gray team took game one Thursday, 6-2.

Sophomore right-handed pitcher Jon Luke Jacobs started on the mound for the gray team.

He pitched three innings before being replaced by junior left-handed pitcher Sean Ray.

After three innings, assistant coach Link Jarrett, who served as the gray team's head coach, sent sophomore Zach Blatt in to close the game.

Blatt pitched a perfect seventh inning to secure the game one win for the gray team.

Senior catcher Ryan Jenkins helped the gray team on offense by driving in two RBIs on two hits, including a double.

In game two Friday, the gray team came away victorious over the white team, 7-2.

Junior right-handed pitcher Grant Dayton started for the gray team and threw four innings.

Junior Justin Bryant then came in to relieve Dayton in the fifth inning.

He threw two scoreless innings, striking out three batters.

Blatt came in for the seventh and threw a perfect inning for the second consecutive game.

"We showed a lot of promise," Dayton said. "Pitching wise I thought was our strongest and also hitting, we hit real good. Defense was a little shaky, but that's just because we had some guys playing in positions they usually don't."

Jenkins and junior outfielder Brian Fletcher had solo home runs in game two to help the gray team to its second win of the series.

"I think we are going to be really good this year," Dayton said. "We have more talent than we ever have since I have been here it seems like. We just got to put it together and win some games."

The gray team won 10-7 over the white in the final game.

Freshman Slade Smith started on the mound for the gray team and Ray closed.

Sophomore Cory Luckie threw three scoreless innings for the white team.

The white team scored five runs in the sixth inning on junior Hunter Morris' grand slam and junior Tony Caldwell's solo home run.

"The series went really well," said senior pitcher Ty Kelley. "I was on the white team. We kind of struggled a little bit, but overall I think it went really well; things just came together for us."

Kelley, along with the rest of the team, is looking forward to opening day in February, and he feels good about the season.

"I feel like we've got a lot talent and everything is coming together really well," Kelley said.

Share and discuss “Auburn Baseball Holds Fall Classic” on social media.