Halloween Party for Kids Held in Bookstore

Last Thursday afternoon, the AU Bookstore was filled with firemen, ninjas, vampires, princesses, fairies, animals, superheroes and pirates as part of a Halloween party for the children of Auburn's faculty and staff.

Katie Lee, AU Bookstore director, said they have been hosting the Halloween party for years, but this year was the largest turnout they have ever had.

"It's a fun way for the kids to enjoy the spirit of Halloween," said Margaret Hendricks, general manager.

Children who came to the party got to play games, do crafts, hear some spooky Halloween stories, enjoy snacks and go trick-or-treating around the bookstore.

"This is something special we do for the kids of the Auburn family," Hendricks said.

Students at the University are key participants in the festivities.

Kids were able to play the "mummy game," competing in two teams to wrap up Jason Murphy and Michael Behel in toilet paper.

"It's all for the kids," said Murphy, bookstore staff member. "If they enjoy it, I enjoy it."

Other students helped by reading stories, passing out snacks, working the craft table and distributing candy and prizes to all the kids.

"I liked the games, especially the dancing game," said Jayden Siggers.

Lacie West, senior in early childhood education, was one of the storytellers for the afternoon.

"This is my fourth year helping out with the Halloween party," West said.

Lee said she enjoyed working with the kids.

"I just like seeing the kids' faces light up," Lee said. "They can go from here to the Halloween carnival at Cater Lawn, and then downtown to trick-or-treat. and I love how the whole campus is participating."

Share and discuss “Halloween Party for Kids Held in Bookstore” on social media.