Opelika Library Hosts Book Signing

Photographs, business cards, a few examples of her work and a bouquet of pink roses decorated the table as Kanisha Wilson signed autographs and posed for pictures at her first book signing.

An Opelika native, 28-year-old poet Kanisha Wilson has had her first book of compiled poetry published.

Wilson said she compiled her poems into her book, "Portraits of the Heart," to share her work with others.

The book signing was Saturday from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. in the boardroom of Cooper Memorial Library in Opelika.

Her family, friends and classmates stopped by to support and join in her time of celebration.

"I'm very proud of her, this is her first book with more to come," said Shirley Ogletree, Wilson's mother. "She has been writing since she was in elementary school, so I figured this day would come."

Wilson said she began writing as a form of expression and an outlet for her thoughts.

Wilson said she thinks other people are able to relate to the themes expressed in her work.

Wilson said he poems are about love, deceit and life experiences.

"I was very shy, then people started telling me I needed to get my poems published because they had read them on Facebook or MySpace, and I wrote one for a friend's wedding," Wilson said. "I was afraid at first, but people encouraged me."

Wilson's book was published in March by Publish America.

"I didn't think they would accept it," Wilson said. "It was free to submit, so I submitted my work and in a few months they informed me that they accepted it. I decided the book cover shortly after that."

Wilson integrated her passion for photography and poetry into the title of her book.

"I like photography, and photography is in the book and to me it relates closely to poetry," Wilson said. "I kind of wanted the word in the title and also I wrote straight from the heart."

Wilson's favorite poem included in the book is called, "In Love With Myself."

"It's after a breakup and it is discussing how I had to learn how to deal with it," Wilson said. "I ended up falling in love with myself and I got over the heartache."

Wilson was not the only person at the book signing who said they are fond of that poem.

"I like it because it is motivating and is an anthem for all single women doing it by themselves, that have been through heartbreak," said Ronica Thomas, Wilson's cousin.

Wilson said she hopes to go far in her career as a writer.

"I hope to go to the sky," Wilson said.

Wilson is a graduate of Alabama A&M University.

Wilson later returned to school to study elementary education at the University of Phoenix, where she received her master's degree.

"It's more than expected for a Saturday, it was a good turnout," said Marsha Hanson, who works in the reference section at Cooper Memorial Library. "She's a really good writer, actually as soon as she said she writes poetry we said, 'Yes, we'll have you.' It's a way for her to get publicity in her own city."

A few of Wilson's 29 poems featured in the book are: Tainted, Solitude, You Don't Love Me, Sour Sugar, The First 15, Old Lovers and His Girl.

The book can be purchased online at publisher.net and amazon.com or at major booksellers such as Barnes and Noble and Borders.

Share and discuss “Opelika Library Hosts Book Signing” on social media.