Auburn Employees File Lawsuit Over Unequal Pay

A class action lawsuit is being filed against Auburn University on behalf of a group of black building services workers who allege they are being paid less than white workers in their department.

The black employees are being represented by City Councilman Arthur Dowdell and Julian McPhillips, a lawyer from Montgomery.

Dowdell said McPhillips sent letters to University administration Friday to notify them of the lawsuit.

"I think the only way we will subside (the problem of racial discrimination at Auburn) is if we file a class action lawsuit," Dowdell said. "Because it's clear that Auburn University, time after time, has violated since 1999, since I've been fighting, that they keep on violating the rights of its own workers."

Dowdell and his brother, the Rev. Larry Taylor, gathered in front of Samford Hall intending to hold a press conference and deliver their demands to Auburn University President Jay Gogue Friday at 1 p.m.

Gogue's secretary Jolene Patterson informed them he was out of town and accepted the sheet of paper listing their demands. Patterson said she would give the list to administration officials.

Dowdell said he wants Gogue to respond to his demands because he doesn't think human resources has done enough.

"We're asking the president to meet with us since the human resources and EEOC has not met with us," Dowdell said. "Now is the time to say to the president, 'You run this place, meet with us and our seven workers.'"

Dowdell said he also wants human resources to allow the seven employees involved in the suit to be allowed to bring representation when they meet with officials from the department. He said he thinks the department is trying to intimidate the workers by requesting they meet individually.

Dowdell said they are planning another press conference for this week to be held in the same place.

"You come back to Auburn you see all these pretty buildings, all these pretty flowers, and you're thinking everything is beautiful," Taylor said. "But then, all of a sudden, you find a thorn, something there that don't need to be there."

Share and discuss “Auburn Employees File Lawsuit Over Unequal Pay” on social media.