Auburn Swimming and Diving Teams Easily Stay Afloat

The men's swim team continued to torpedo through the pool, while the women's swim team stayed afloat in a split victory.

The Auburn University swimming and diving team competed against the University of Georgia at the James E. Martin Aquatic Center for a Southeastern Conference meet on Friday.

The men came into this competition ranked fifth in the nation and defeated No. 7 Georgia 145-98 with 10 total wins at the meet.

The Georgia women's team came into this meet top-ranked, according to the College Swim Coaches Association of America.

The Auburn women's team were ranked seventh and lost 134-104 to the No.1 Lady Bulldogs. The men move to 3-0, while the women are 2-1 so far this season.

"We just got to see what the best women's team in the country looks like and they beat up on us pretty bad," said head coach Brett Hawke. "The men's side had a solid performance, but we still have work to do at this point in the season."

Senior Gideon Louw led the tigers with two individual wins and two NCAA "B" standard times. Louw earned his second win in the 50 freesytle, finishing first in a NCAA "B" standard time of 19.95 seconds. He then won the 100 freestyle in a NCAA "B" time of 44.32 seconds.

Louw helped senior Tyler McGill, junior Kohlton Norys and sophomore Karl Krug win the 400 freestyle with a NCAA "B" standard time finish of 2:58.97.

"We all put in a 100 percent effort today and came together to support each other as a team," Louw said. "It was good to win my events, but I always want to do better."

Louw also received his first career SEC weekly honor after leading the swimming and diving team to a victory over in-state rival Alabama on Thursday, according to www.AuburnTigers.com.

As for the lady Tigers, two swimmers earned individual wins including sophomore Micah Lawrence in the 100 breaststroke with a NCAA "B" standard time of 1:00.62.

Senior Ava Ohlgren won in the 400 Individual Medley with a "B" standard time of 4:13.82.

"It is good to be a senior and step up to win one of the two events we won at this meet," Ohlgren said. "This meet was a good learning experience for us and we are going to continue to work on our mistakes."

Auburn University's swimming and diving team signed 16 athletes to National Letters of Intent during the NCAA Early Signing Period for the 2010-11 season.

The athletes for the men include Zane Grothe, Nimrod Hayet, Dakota Hodgson, TJ Leon, Chris Manning, Evan Noble, James Disney-May, Dimitri Higgins and diver John Santieu.

The athletes for the women include Dagny Knutson, Emily Bos, Haley Krakoski, Erin Reisinger, Olivia Scott, Siena DeVenuto and Yennifer Marquez.

"The staff has been working hard to get some of the best recruiting class in the country," said Hawke. "We are excited about the prospects for next year, but obviously our minds are focused on this year."

The entire swimming and diving team returns to competition when the Tigers travel to Austin, Texas, for the Texas Invitational, Dec. 3-5.

Share and discuss “Auburn Swimming and Diving Teams Easily Stay Afloat” on social media.