Help Haiti, your health

Campus Rec is partnering with the American Red Cross to give students another chance to help the victims of the Haiti earthquake, Jan. 12, with the event "Donations Through Recreation."

From 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday, American Red Cross donation buckets will be set up the Student Activities Center.

"It's just another way to show our support and help out the millions victims in Haiti," said Nicholas Head, student intramurals coordinator.

Students and faculty who regularly attend any of the group fitness classes, or take advantage of the basketball courts, workout room and fitness room can donate cash or check to

the American Red Cross. "We want any and every student to donate if they can," Head said. "There will be numerous group fitness classes going on, club sports events and even intramural basketball." Head said students can donate through spare change, dollars or checks into the buckets, donating

whatever they can spare. "We are so appreciative of the Auburn University student body supporting such a great cause to help those who were devastated by such a terrible natural disaster," said Jennifer Jarvis, director of Campus

Recreation. It is not necessary for a

student to attend a class to donate money; anyone can stop by the Student Act and make a donation.

"If donating to the relief efforts in Haiti gets the students motivated to come

to the Student Activities Center and help out, then we're all for it," Head said.

In 2005 after Hurricane Katrina, Campus Rec partnered with the American Red Cross to help.

In addition, Auburn accepted students from colleges in Louisiana and many of whom participated in intramurals.

"We wanted those students to feel at home and we wanted to let them know we were there for them," Head said.

Intramural sports held a flag football festival with a $25 entry donation to the Red Cross in 2005.

Campus Rec is hoping to hold a similar fundraiser in the near future benefitting the Haiti victims.

Students are encouraged to get active while helping Haitians during "Donations through Recreation."

Share and discuss “Help Haiti, your health” on social media.