SGA Wraps Up Academic Integrity Week

In light of Academic Integrity Week, the Student Government Association welcomed Donald McCabe, professor of management and global business from Rutgers University, to speak in the Student Center Ballroom last Wednesday.

McCabe has done extensive research on college cheating, surveying more than175,000 students in the last 19 years. McCabe said collaboration on assignments and "cut and paste" seem to be the most popular type of cheating.

"Auburn has a similar profile to other schools, which has its advantages and disadvantages," McCabe said.

Auburn students reported using old tests to study, because they know that they are not the only ones with access to the exams, McCabe said.

Leigh Veillette, sophomore in political science, said the kind of cheating she has seen most at Auburn is people sharing what is on the test beforehand.

"If a teacher is not willing to put forth the effort to change the tests, how mad can they really be that students have the test?" Veillette said.

According to McCabe, the blame cannot only be placed on the students in these cases.

"Faculty has really given up trying to address the issue, and teachers around the country report high levels of cheating in students," McCabe said.

McCabe suggested that Auburn revise the honor oath and give the students the greater role.

Russell Muntifering, head chairman of the Academic Honesty Committee, said there are already plans to change the way Auburn defines cheating.

"In the February or March meeting of the University Senate, SGA will propose changes to the Tiger Cub and honor code," Muntifering said.

Muntifering said he is confident by the fall of 2010, there will be a significantly revised honor code in the Tiger Cub, in terms of both content and procedure.

"We can stand on our head for ten Sundays and change code, but unless faculty members are willing to be involved in the changes, it's not going to work," Muntifering said.

Share and discuss “SGA Wraps Up Academic Integrity Week” on social media.