College Culinary show debuts

College students across the nation have found it difficult to provide nutritious meals for themselves. Fortunately, before long it won't be as challenging to cook something healthy and appetizing.

Students at Gainesville State College and University of Georgia decided to turn things around by creating an innovative cooking program. Cookin' For College is a show dedicated to helping college students make flavor-packed meals. "Eventually, college students get sick of frozen and fast foods and want home cooked meals," said Kira Glasser, director and producer. "Cookin' For College exhibits how to make these kind of meals that are affordable and easy to make."

The series not only focuses on making delicious meals, but it also concentrates on affordable and fast meals that fit every student's lifestyle.

Arthur King, the show's host, makes it his mission to show college students that cooking isn't as difficult as it appears. The sophomore at GSC felt that is was necessary to share recipies and demonstrate how to cool home-style foods in a clear and simple way. Some students are surprised by the different they find in eating at home and eating out. "My roommate and I made their pork chops the other day, they were pretty good," said Gray Schaufler, senior in marketing. "We were amazed that when we divided the prices up it costs less than the average meal at McDonalds."

The main goal of Cookin' For College is to get ideas from fans to get the show onto Food Network Television, Glasser said.

The crew has already pitched the show's idea to Paula Deen's Corporation, which appreciated the concept.

"Paula Deen's Corporation told me they want to see at least 1,000 fans on Facebook A.S.A.P.," Glasser said. "They said the more fans we get, the more they'll know that people like the idea and then they would put us on a show." After starting the endeavor less than two weeks ago, Cookin' For College is growing remarkably fast. "I know a lot of college students who love our recipes," Glasser said. "So far all of our feedback has been great, everyone has been really positive, people keep telling us how great of an idea it is." King's roommate inspired the students to get together and make a show. "He seriously would live off frozen food and ramen, which used to drive Arthur crazy," Glasser said. "We figured that he was never taught, which made us think about how many students don't know how to cook." YouTube videos of live recipe trials in the test kitchen have had only positive and encouraging replies to the posts. King has uploaded more than 10 vidoes in seven days. Meals such as grilled cheese hamburgers, taco chili and shrip fettuccine have become increasingly popular with online viewers and all are within a $10 budget.

Share and discuss “College Culinary show debuts” on social media.